Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: 7mm sectioned projectiles

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    I agree. I used the 150gr NBT 30 cal in a 308 Browning BAR when they first came out, they were shite. Under a hundy the BAR was a splatter gun, surface blow ups with fragmented penetration. Certainly a lot better by all accounts these days.
    Yeah. I used the 125BTs in my MLR 308 many years ago and they were a varmint bullet. The 165BTs (30cal) and 150BTs (7mm) I use now are a different beast.
    Last edited by Shearer; 31-03-2020 at 08:18 PM.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

I thought I'd done a great job with just a bastard file until I took a photo. Maybe a bit more with a 2nd cut file will look better for another go
    Yeah I even gave mine a quick sand with 120 grit paper on a block, after draw filing
    BC doesn't matter, until you need to dial

165gr 30 cal SST Name:  20200331_213505.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  1.19 MB
    Micky Duck and Steelisreal like this.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Again not a 7mm but it's big brother Mr 30cal.
    150 NBT vs 155 A-Max

The Nosler is a considerably more stout construction.
    As I mentioned earlier, I said the old 30cal 150BT was shocking, too soft. Interesting to see your photo of the current bullet sectioned compared to the one's I used in the 1990's. Nosler obviously did their homework on improvements 30 years down the track.

Name:  150BT.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  1.11 MB

As I mentioned earlier, I said the old 30cal 150BT was shocking, too soft. Interesting to see your photo of the current bullet sectioned compared to the one's I used in the 1990's. Nosler obviously did their homework on improvements 30 years down the track.

Attachment 134661
    I love this thread! It's lucky that circumstances never allowed me to fire any of those early 150 Nosler BT's at anything bigger than a goat! They died good and proper.

I will have a go at some of my collection at the weekend - currently I'm 'working from home' ��
    Mathias likes this.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar

Attachment 134661
    I can't see too much variation over the last 30 years in those two 150NBT. Your sectioning is a lot cleaner than mine but overall they look the same. Maybe need to grab my glasses?
    I shot a Sika stag not long before the L4 and it was a poor shot (to far back) but the animal expired relatively quickly and the bullet left an exit. So from a sample set of one it worked as required.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    I can't see too much variation over the last 30 years in those two 150NBT. Your sectioning is a lot cleaner than mine but overall they look the same. Maybe need to grab my glasses?
    I shot a Sika stag not long before the L4 and it was a poor shot (to far back) but the animal expired relatively quickly and the bullet left an exit. So from a sample set of one it worked as required.
    The lower half of the jacket cosiderably beefed up on your sample. Looks much like a Sierra Game Changer now.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

The lower half of the jacket cosiderably beefed up on your sample. Looks much like a Sierra Game Changer now.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
    I read somewhere that Nosler have refined the lead and whatever (antimony?) mix over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Or hold them with a set if vice grips and grind them on a woolshed/shearing grinder. A lot less labour intensive.
    I tinkered around a bit doing this when I first started reloading. I use predominantly Hornady projectiles and have always found boat tails and projectiles with solid bases like the Noslers sectioned here loose the core more than flat bases. The Interlocks from back in the eighties were a very well made projectile and held together a lot better than today's ones. I find SST's fall to bits too. Cant comment on ELDX's as I haven't recovered any. Everything has died, but it is satisfying recovering a well mushroomed projectile.
    My brother would have a fit if he found me doing this instead of sharpening my gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Yeah. I used the 125BTs in my MLR 308 many years ago and they were a varmint bullet. The 165BTs (30cal) and 150BTs (7mm) I use now are a different beast.
    I used 150gr 30cal NBT (308 Win) not long after they came out,1 box of 50. Stopped using them as they were too fragile. Jacket separated from core nearly every time on deer, pigs and sometimes on goats.Pain in the arse to find jacket with knuckles when punching skin off deer. Went back to Speer SP and Remington Corelokt, no more dramas. Might give NBT another try though after reading this post.

Those early day 150 gr NBT's were ok on smaller deer and animals but on bigger framed animals I had trouble putting them down. I used them in a 3006. In recent years they ( 180 gr NBT ) work very well in my current 30 06. Not a good comparison but I think they are a bit tougher than the old days.

Used the 165/168 gn NBTs in 30-06 during the 80s.
    Found them to be ok.
    Accurate.
    Mind you a step up from reloading .303 with hard Norma projectiles that were not too effective.

Knew I had this screenshot saved somewhere- just tracked it down

if you look at rear of NBT jacket walls you will notice its tapered now and WAS pretty even before...to my eyes its half as fat again now right at base.... you still need to match weight of projectile to animal...... the 130s are pretty good in poohseventy at slower speeds .havent had one blow up yet but I m not pushing the pace on them....there are better projectiles for up close deerzies. they do shoot accurately .

Has any one cut a nosler accubond in half? would be a interesting comaprison to the rest of these bullets.