Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 7PRC load data

7PRC load data

Hey there, new to posting so go easy 😆
    Just in the process of building a 7mm prc.
    I’ve been looking into load data on a few of the gun powder websites. Has anyone had real world experience that they would like to share? I’ve currently got a few boxes of 175ELDx and 180ELDm
    Powders: Retumbo/2225, 2217, 7828ssc,4955,RL25

Thanks in advance

2225 and 2217 will be your friend . What length barrel are you going for . 2225 went fantastic in my 7 blaser mag which would be very similar in compacity

26” proof 1/8 twist

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Kelton View Post
    2225 and 2217 will be your friend . What length barrel are you going for . 2225 went fantastic in my 7 blaser mag which would be very similar in compacity
    Do you happen to remember the speeds you were getting with that blaser and 2225? I'm using reloader 26 in it now but have been tempted to swap due to obvious reasons . I do love that gun . It's a keeper

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk
    chainsaw and Gkp like this.

I have tried 2217 2225 and RL26 in my 7prc behind 175gr ELDX, hornady brass and FED215 primer. few things i can note -

RL26 gives the best speed, not by a huge amount though, 2225 wasnt far behind, 2217 was the slowest.

Hornady book max is most certainly book max, theres no sneaking it a little over like you can a lot of other cartridges where the data appears "conservative". Load up something at the hornady book max and you will certainly completely flatten the primer & wreck the brass.

Hornady brass is a bit inconsistent, some of it appears to be softer than the rest. At below book max load (even sometimes just shooting the factory ammo) you will get the odd bit of brass that stamps / hard bolt lift / ends up with a loose primer pocket. Out of 60 cases i have about 45 good cases now after a few reloads and throwing out what appear to be the soft ones.
    25/08 IMP likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5 CRD View Post
    I have tried 2217 2225 and RL26 in my 7prc behind 175gr ELDX, hornady brass and FED215 primer. few things i can note -

RL26 gives the best speed, not by a huge amount though, 2225 wasnt far behind, 2217 was the slowest.

Hornady book max is most certainly book max, theres no sneaking it a little over like you can a lot of other cartridges where the data appears "conservative". Load up something at the hornady book max and you will certainly completely flatten the primer & wreck the brass.

Hornady brass is a bit inconsistent, some of it appears to be softer than the rest. At below book max load (even sometimes just shooting the factory ammo) you will get the odd bit of brass that stamps / hard bolt lift / ends up with a loose primer pocket. Out of 60 cases i have about 45 good cases now after a few reloads and throwing out what appear to be the soft ones.
    Hornady talked about this in a couple of podcasts
    Basically because there is less tolerance in the new designs and the rifles are chambered far more tighter then it brings book max to auctal max pressure.

Now i don't reload but it makes sense to me were as in the older cases had far more tolerance that the handloader could work in with that particular rifle before hitting pressure.
    Steelisreal likes this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5 CRD View Post
    I have tried 2217 2225 and RL26 in my 7prc behind 175gr ELDX, hornady
    brass and FED215 primer. few things i can note -

Thank you. With most of the rifles I reload for, are mostly above book max. I’ll start low and work up. Normally I start mid-high range with load development. Might start at min this time
    What speeds were you getting from factory? And what speed did you find the node with 2225?

Cheers for the info about the brass to.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill243 View Post
    Do you happen to remember the speeds you were getting with that blaser and 2225? I'm using reloader 26 in it now but have been tempted to swap due to obvious reasons . I do love that gun . It's a keeper

I never chronied it it was far more accurate though wouldnt even be 50fps in it id say make bugger all difference in drop or energy I shoot 180eldm in my saum now at 2880 and the differnce between that and my other rifle at 3110 is not as much as youd think
    Phill243 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelton View Post
    I never chronied it it was far more accurate though wouldnt even be 50fps in it id say make bugger all difference in drop or energy I shoot 180eldm in my saum now at 2880 and the differnce between that and my other rifle at 3110 is not as much as youd think
    Cheers yea I might give it a go I managed to score some new brass recently also for a good price too just need to get some 2225 and I'll have enough to see the barrel out . Yes the 180 eldm has such a amazing bc so I believe that the difference is not as much as you think.

Cheers yea I might give it a go I managed to score some new brass recently also for a good price too just need to get some 2225 and I'll have enough to see the barrel out . Yes the 180 eldm has such a amazing bc so I believe that the difference is not as much as you think.

Yea its neither here nor their man anything over 2750 will rip anything down

Yea its neither here nor their man anything over 2750 will rip anything down

Gkp

Got a kg of 2225 if you coming down mate

Quote Originally Posted by hunterzk View Post
    Thank you. With most of the rifles I reload for, are mostly above book max. I’ll start low and work up. Normally I start mid-high range with load development. Might start at min this time
    What speeds were you getting from factory? And what speed did you find the node with 2225?

Cheers for the info about the brass to.
    My barrel is 22", barely shot factory through it i started reloading straight away but from memory the factory 175 eldx i did shoot was around 2940. I havent got 2225 shooting good groups yet but speed is right on 2950. I havent persisted further with 2225 as ive decided not to just keep wasting consumables when i have a RL26 load sorted that shoots great groups at a hair under 3000.