Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By shooternz
  • 1 Post By zimmer
  • 1 Post By 257weatherby

Thread: 7x57 reloading Dunedin?

7x57 reloading Dunedin?

Does anyone know if there is anyone in Dunedin that does custom reloads?

I have a 7x57 built on a BSA Viscount action that I would like to get a load developed for as the factory loading's seem quite conservative due to super old rifles in circulation. I gather the BSA should be able to handle a slightly hotter load than factory offerings? Would be nice to get a wee bit more performance out of it. I gather getting 2800-2900fps for a 140grn pill shouldn't be unreasonable? I don't shoot enough to get into reloading myself.

Thanks for any advise!

Best thing to do is buy Norma or any other European ammo it is loaded to more realistic levels of performance,
    It can be very expensive to get your ammo from a Custom reloader get a quote and then check out the price
    of Norma ammo,
    This is the only person I know that reloads commercially, Mark at Custom Cartridges Taupo 07 378 4593
    Cheers
    Robert.
    WallyR likes this.

Built in between 1955 through to 62. Any pics of the rifle?
    Just had a CF2 rebarreled in 7x57 finishing touches being done as I type at 5.40 am

If you can find someone to do custom loads wicked if not...why not try hand loading?
    Get Nathan Fosters book on it it's a good place to start The Practical Guide to Reloading
    You can buy a set of dies and get a lee hand loader for quite cheap. You don't need to get a bench one.
    You will enjoy your rifle a lot more too!cheers Hunty1

Banned
    There will be some kind soul around who will help load your mighty mauser for you. Particularly if you bought your own consumables and dies if they didn't use 7 x 57 themselves. Ask at the local deerstalkers if no one shows up on here or 'the other site'
    Good luck😊

Yeah think that might be the way to go if possible. Would obviously supply consumables and amber refreshment for their trouble!

Got some S&B factory ammo to try. According to the packet it should perform ok velocity wise. Will keep brass for future loading with luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Built in between 1955 through to 62. Any pics of the rifle?
    Just had a CF2 rebarreled in 7x57 finishing touches being done as I type at 5.40 am
    Sounds nice! Thanks for the date info. The serial number begins with 5B which I think you can estimate age from too?

Quote Originally Posted by Hunty1 View Post
    Sounds nice! Thanks for the date info. The serial number begins with 5B which I think you can estimate age from too?
    Here you go mate. John Knibbs is recognized world wide as the go to for dating BSAs

BSA - John Knibbs International Ltd
    Hunty1 likes this.

PM sent

sneakywaza I got

I have a 7x57 built on a BSA Viscount action that I would like to get a load developed for as the factory loading's seem quite conservative due to super old rifles in circulation. I gather the BSA should be able to handle a slightly hotter load than factory offerings? Would be nice to get a wee bit more performance out of it. I gather getting 2800-2900fps for a 140grn pill shouldn't be unreasonable? I don't shoot enough to get into reloading myself.

Thanks for any advise!
    Join Otago Deerstalkers and get yourself an intro to Chaz Forsythe, if he sees you are not a tosser, you will get the help you need to roll your own.
    Hunty1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600 View Post
    PM sent
    Hmm don't see any msg Husky1600?

Thanks for any advise!
    Have you tried Lee at Allan Millars Hunting and Fishing? He works up loads for people.