Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: 8 x 57 loads

Banned
    True on the fuel...thanks for the offer though Scotty...be keen to hear how your loads work.

Quote Originally Posted by stevodog View Post
    True on the fuel...thanks for the offer though Scotty...be keen to hear how your loads work.
    did this a while ago but forgot to put it up for you....gonna persevere with the 180 ballistic tips and the 170 round nose may try a diffrent powder with the 150 (its all over the show)
    Name:  IMG_20190206_103340.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  3.16 MB

Thats not bad.

Are the round nose bullets Hornaday? I bought some for practice and they seem to do alright in my Rifle.The ranges we hunt at are pretty short in Scandinavia generally,I think the round nose would do fine if I went hunting with them

Privi partisan and Sellior and Bellot both mate inexpensive projectiles for the 8X57,shame no one imports them to here.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Yea th round nose are hornady the ballistic tips are Norma

Banned
    Good one Scotty. I've had the "mowser" out for a walk. Doing it easy with the ssts. Quartering toward me, the exit was a bit gruesome just in front of rump. Name:  P_2Mauser deer.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  2.56 MB
    john m and Sideshow like this.

Quote Originally Posted by stevodog View Post
    Good one Scotty. I've had the "mowser" out for a walk. Doing it easy with the ssts. Quartering toward me, the exit was a bit gruesome just in front of rump. Attachment 112003
    thats a bit flash hope you didnt get it dirty..........my old brnos a bit of no frills beast but i would like to get a walnut stock for it, trouble is the scottish blood in my veins wont let me spend the dosh

Nice one, good to se your loads are bringing in some venison.

The guys I hunt with in France most use the 8x57jrs all try to use fast expanding bullets. Not sure what loads. But as most shots are within 40yards (nothing past 80) on moving boar and red hinds it’s to be expected.
    Nice rifle @stevodog when I was building mine I nearly went 8x57 but had trouble finding a barrel so 7x57 was the next choice.
    Partition 160gr do the job nicely and also make the rifle legal for boar in France
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

My first centrefire was an sporterised 8x57. At one stage I couldn't get any ammo for it except for Norma 220gr round noses..... A tad overkill for the goats I shot. But they sure dropped like a stone.......

My "new to me" Brno Model 21 in 8x57 should be with me in a week or so. Does anyone have any Hornady 170 Gn SST's that they'd care to swap, I'd like a few to try during load development??

Banned
    Yeah, I don't suppose there are too many making 8mm barrels.
    Sounds like much practice would be required for a driven hunt style

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    My "new to me" Brno Model 21 in 8x57 should be with me in a week or so. Does anyone have any Hornady 170 Gn SST's that they'd care to swap, I'd like a few to try during load development??
    I can send you some. Pm your address. I got some 150gr speers as well if you like

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bumblefoot View Post
    My first centrefire was an sporterised 8x57. At one stage I couldn't get any ammo for it except for Norma 220gr round noses..... A tad overkill for the goats I shot. But they sure dropped like a stone.......
    ha...when teenagers, my mate had a sporterized k98 and I had a bsa 3006 that I couldn't handle. He would sight in good groups while I got more "determined" trying to print a group.

Year your not wrong @stevodog you can’t shotgun style shoot them as you miss in front.
    The best bet with boar is start at the pizzel and come up through the neck, it’s a slower swing than bird hunting.
    With this style you find you have a lot more time on target than you think. Where as if you try to swing right through the target you will most likely miss in front.
    I’ve a place down the road a bit from me that runs a running boar target. I get out once a year before I go to France for a refresher.
    No use going all that way and missing not saying that this will guarantee a hit but it will put me in the 75% to 85% bracket of a hit. The rest is just luck our not luck. You need to see one first. They can be very sneaky. Especially the old fallas!
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

A big shout out for @stevodog - 170's (Horady SST's) arrived. There are some good buggers on the forum!

Anyone care to share a load that has worked with them ??