Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

87 Gr VLD Hunting?

Anyone tried these pills?

They look decent but what range would you use them to in 6mm?

I don't have any experience of the 87g VLD's, BUT.....I had a 6XC for a while, and used 87g VMAX projectiles exclusively.

The longest shot on deer was 460 yards, through the shoulder of a 55 -60 kg Red hind. It flattened it.

The shortest was maybe 10 yards, into the neck of a Sika yearling. Also dead. If I built another 6mm, I'd use that projectile.

Based on the damage and penetration I saw in the 460 yard shot, I would have happily shot another 100 yards at deer, assuming it all lined up well. I shot magpies past 400 yards with that rifle, so had a reasonable expectation of hitting the side of a deer.

Yeah?

Shivers... I was thinking of using them for smoking Goats out to 400 but I wanted something with a bit more punch for Thar or Chamois if needed.

I know the TSX will drop them but was wondering what the Hunting VLD was like.

I'll get some VMAX to load up anyway and see what the inside of Goats look like at 300-400.

Dre

LJP
    Not 87grain but I have used a fair few Berger 95gr VLD's on various game. Fantastic projectile for everything, wouldn't hesitate to use on bunny's to big Red's! I'd expect the 87 to be not much different - anything with Berger on the box is going to be accurate too.

Nice. They're well priced for such a good projectile it seems.

I'll get some Hornady and Berger to throw play with and see which one it likes.