Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

8x57 - Big and slow loads

Courtesy of @Norwest the latest rifle I'm "renting" for a while at least is a Husky 8x57. Many many years ago I shot a VZ-33 with 196 gn RWS "H" mantle bullets (albeit as fast as I could make them go from its 18" barrel, about 2500 fps as I recall) but they spoiled as much meat as anything.

I'd like to try some heavier projectiles at "eat up to the bullet hole" velocities . . . anyone know of a readily available big .323 projectile that is reliable at sub 2300 fps ??

Any pet load suggestions ??

Thanks

PS - actually it doesn't really have to be "big" I guess

This quite interesting and the path I will follow when I "rent" it back

https://sites.google.com/site/8mmmauserreloading/home

I used the little 125gn sp in my vz33 shot well and recoil was far more manageable

watching with interest,,,, at the mo i have a variety i havent yet had time to test. round nose, spitzer , ballistic tip ranging from 150g up to 195g .

Try the Spear 200 grain I had good accuracy with them in my 8x57 load was 40.00 grains 2206H, the lighter and shorter projectiles don't shoot as well
    mainly because the throats are cut long for the heavy military projectiles, the Germans originally loaded a 227 grain RN then a 153 grain spitzer and a 198 grain spitzer
    for machine-gun use, the only military ammo I have used is the 198 grain British loaded for their Breda machine guns it is very accurate but has heavy recoil,
    most sporting projectiles will expand at 1800 fps so you should be ok at 2200-2300fps, you could go to cast bullets they will expand at 1500fps good accuracy
    is at 1800 +fps.

To get heavier than 196gr you will probably need to get Woodleigh projectiles, they make a 220 and 250gr RN projectile. Their recommended impact velocity is 2000 - 2700 fps.

Bullet Specifications, Dimensions & Details (.264"-.333") - Woodleigh Bullets

Looks from 24hourcampfire forum that the 195's will expand at lower velocities ok, so I'll shout out for some of those and some Speer 200's to try.

Thanks