Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By Tahr
  • 4 Post By 7mmsaum
  • 1 Post By Pommy
  • 1 Post By Pommy
  • 1 Post By Kelton

Thread: 90gn Atip .224

90gn Atip .224

Has anybody slipped on of these into the vitals of a red deer yet? Alternatively the 88gn eldm which I’m sure will be a stonker any other high bc heavy little pointys anyone would recommend.

Thanks all

On the US forums the ATip gets bagged for being very inconsistent and for penciling. The 88 eldm gets excellent reviews. Going by the 80 eldm here the 88 should be a winner. Them and a 22Creedmoor would be pretty lethal.
    tikka, Micky Duck and 25/08 IMP like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    On the US forums the ATip gets bagged for being very inconsistent and for penciling. The 88 eldm gets excellent reviews. Going by the 80 eldm here the 88 should be a winner. Them and a 22Creedmoor would be pretty lethal.

Or a fast twist 22-250
    Tahr, tikka, Shearer and 1 others like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Have taken a few fallow with the 88's and they were very much deadly. Fast twist 22-250AI.

Closest was about 325m though so I don't yet know how they will behave up close.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

Quote Originally Posted by Pommy View Post
    Have taken a few fallow with the 88's and they were very much deadly. Fast twist 22-250AI.

Closest was about 325m though so I don't yet know how they will behave up close.
    How fast a twist?
    I'm building a 1:9 5.6x57 and hoping the extra speed will stabilise a 75eldm, I know I wont get the 80 or 88 though

1:7. I do not rate your chances with a 1:9. 75's are borderline in my 1:8 223. Though some people still seem to be able to shoot both the 75's and 80's through 1:8 223's so ymmv with those and the added speed I guess.
    makka likes this.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

Quote Originally Posted by Pommy View Post
    1:7. I do not rate your chances with a 1:9. 75's are borderline in my 1:8 223. Though some people still seem to be able to shoot both the 75's and 80's through 1:8 223's so ymmv with those and the added speed I guess.
    Yeah, I was being wishful, might have to settle for the 73 eldm

Undecided on twist last decision to make barrel maker stock action trigger scope and bottom metal are sorted some where around 7-7.5 twist 22gt I wanted the creed but the 22gt seems a happy medium between the .223 and 22creed/22-250akley for some decent barrel life and still a humble amount of powder
    25/08 IMP likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Or a fast twist 22-250
    Who does a fast twist standard in FATBUM. Nobody. Why is the unicorn question.

Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    Who does a fast twist standard in FATBUM. Nobody. Why is the unicorn question.
    Manufacturers are notoriously slow to catch up with what the consumer wants is my 5cents,
    uneducated statement iv corse just the way it always seems creeds and prcs offered a factory fast twist and it’s pretty much the key to their factory popularity over the .260rem .243win 22-250rem and 7rem mag not so much the 300win the 300prc was cleaver shortening the case the 300 never seemed to be handicapped but twist more size for mainstream magboxs