Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree16Likes
  • 3 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By blip
  • 1 Post By Xomphec
  • 1 Post By Rated M for Magnum
  • 4 Post By Jaco Goosen
  • 1 Post By Xomphec
  • 2 Post By Nakihunter
  • 2 Post By drunk_mexican

Thread: New to reloading - need to Check my thinking

New to reloading - need to Check my thinking

I'm brand new to reloading and I don't have a sounding board for it in real life, so I thought it best to ask here.

I'm looking to work up a load using:
    PPU brass cases
    Sierra Gamechanger 90gr 6mm projectiles
    CCI primers
    ADI 2208 (between 34 -36.5 Grains) (44800- 50400CUP) (as per ADI 10th edition manual)

What concerns me is the powder charge listed in the manual is for the 90gr Speer Soft point. A very different projectile.
    Now I don't personally see any harm in just buying some Speer Soft point and using those. But it would be nice to use what I already have.
    I suppose, what I am asking is, to what degree is powder charge influenced by bullet shape/style versus projectile weight? If at all

See if the good bugger @veitnamcam can swing by and give you a run down

once upon a time no manuals had different projectiles listed..just the weight..BECAUSE reloaders would start at low end and work thier way up till got nice accurate load..then be happy and go hunting/shooting....
    strangely enough this still works just fine.
    the sierra may be harder than the speer,but unless you loading to top velocity load you will be fine.
    good on you for asking.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I dont get too hung up on the particular projectile they mention other than if there's a choice between a traditional cup and core vs a solid copper pill. In your case Id just go with cup and core if that what you already have. Me personally Ill start in between min and max load data and go from there. What's the rifle your loading for? 243 or something?
    Xomphec likes this.
    may be sarcastic may be a bad joke

Woops. I know I had 243win in the title at SOMEPOINT, While I was writing the post. I must have deleted it by accident. But yes it is 243win.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    once upon a time no manuals had different projectiles listed..just the weight..BECAUSE reloaders would start at low end and work thier way up till got nice accurate load..then be happy and go hunting/shooting....
    strangely enough this still works just fine.
    the sierra may be harder than the speer,but unless you loading to top velocity load you will be fine.
    good on you for asking.
    Cheers for that. I couldn't seem to find anything on the matter online.
    Personally prefer to ask that assume, particularly when dealing with high pressure etc.
    Micky Duck likes this.

We have 2x 243s mine and wifes we load for ours are early ones and they seem to prefer the lighter end of the scale as far as pills go. Ones a rem600 and the other one is a parker hale
    may be sarcastic may be a bad joke

That's a good start point, nice and low. See how you go, 2208 goes really well in 243.
    Xomphec likes this.

sierra has a min load of 35gr 2208 and a max load of 37.4gr
    Using Tapatalk

I've been taught if you've got a projectile thats not listed you just pick the next heavier projectile of the same type and use its load data. If your confident, you can go past the the heavier projectiles max load, but stop when you start getting pressure signs.

90gr pills is perfect for a 243Win with a 10 twist barrel - thats actually to bullet weight it was build around back on the 1950s. I absolutely love 243, I've had them with 7.5, 8, 9, 10 and 12 twist barrels - all for different applications. I'm currently shooting a 243Win fitted with a 7.5twist barrel running 109gr Bergers at a 3020fps - accurate as can be.
    308, Micky Duck, will.i.em and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by lau lau View Post
    sierra has a min load of 35gr 2208 and a max load of 37.4gr
    That's certainly interesting, so starting on 35gr may not be the worst option. Good to know.
    Is that from the Sierra reloading manual or something like that?
    Micky Duck likes this.

Nakihunter
    Since you asked for advice, let me explain what I started with.

I used to read gun magazines from the mid 1970s and got my license when I came to NZ in the early 90s. The best advice I picked up was to buy the Lyman manual and read the early chapters 3 times.

The key is to understand the basic principles of pressure and the variables such as case capacity, bullet weight & profile, powder type / burning rate / charge, etc.

MOST IMPORTANT - Pressure changes exponentially. BE SAFE

In your case you are using 2 different bullets of same weight but similar cup and core construction. So I see no harm in using STARTING loads and working up with a Chronograph. Better still to get some help from a reliable person from your local NZDA.

I always measure case head expansion for any new rifle and cartridge to make sure I am using safe loads that are not exceeding max pressures.

This is very old school but still relevant today.
    Hugh Shields and Xomphec like this.

More load data the merrier in my experience. But as always start low, build up in small increments and always be vigilant for pressure signs.

Max velocity doesn't mean best accuracy.
    Micky Duck and Hugh Shields like this.