Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: ADI 2225 anemic compared to old batch ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Has the outside temperature been similar on both occasions of velocity testing? Im not sure if 2225 is temp sensitive, but just a thought, especially if your recent testing was a cold day.

My 22" 270wsm with Federal and Winchester brass, Fed mag primers and 69.5 old batch 2225 and ELDX is 3140fps. So I doubt if its the change of primers that have made the difference to yours.
    Outside temp is similar, pretty sure 2225 is not particularly temp sensitive
    #DANNYCENT

If you don't use the exact same components then you can't rule out variables.

You are using different primers and although you wouldn't think it would make that much difference you really have to compare apples with apples.

I know I need to use the federal magnum match, federal magnum no good.

Some good bugger on this forum if sure could throw u a few primers for you to check.

I would say its a combination of new batch of powder and different primers
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    When hunting think safety first

Quote Originally Posted by 7mm Rem Mag View Post
    If you don't use the exact same components then you can't rule out variables.

You are using different primers and although you wouldn't think it would make that much difference you really have to compare apples with apples.

I know I need to use the federal magnum match, federal magnum no good.

Some good bugger on this forum if sure could throw u a few primers for you to check.

I would say its a combination of new batch of powder and different primers
    Whilst i appreciate the input, not much use if I can't get anymore.
    I have a very small amount of the old powder left I'm going to load up a few of my old load with the fed mag primers and see how it compares.
    Also gonna tee up a session on a labradar to give true velocity now I know where my best e.s is at with the new powder.
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

Im glad you managed to snag a bit, id say definitely not surprised theres a difference in batches. The factory loads could well be using a proprietary powder that is unavailable to us commoners. Thats about as much as i can help sorry. If your wanting some more velocity the just as hard to come by rl26 would be your friend although im about done with trying it in my saum. Fantastic velocity and pretty good es but rifles just not liking it. 2209 could well be another to try in your wsm, might not seem it but its surprising what works. I ended up using 2209 in my saum with 180 eldm

What I will do with new batch of powder is load some rounds to do the ladder test and compare to the old recipes.
    Same thing happened to my 300wsm with 2213. My solution is buy the same batch 4kg of powder each time.👍
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.

if you still have some of the old batch....blend it all together....you might gain a little bit back...or not...and if you really serious about solving the problem GET RID OF THE CHRONICGRAPH...completely...chuck it away...validate your best guess at range and BE HAPPY...its accurate it will kill.
    7mm Rem Mag and dannyb like this.

So back to the original question, has anyone loaded up any of the latest shipment of ADI 2225 and how have you found it velocity wise compared to older batches ?
    #DANNYCENT

Well hopefully this ought to answer a few questions....

6x 71.5gn old powder with the original load data

6x 70gn new powder with the lowest e.s from latest ladder

6x 71.5gn new powder using original load data

Name:  20220303_204021.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  4.55 MB

These ought to be some of the most precise ammo I've ever loaded. Brass was annealed, full length sized, trimmed, powder hand trickled to exact specs and each round seated then backed die out for next round and slowly worked back in till desired seating depth reached.......farking time consuming but trying to reduce as many variables as possible
    #DANNYCENT

sounds all good...dont know about the backing die out for each round bit.... but you will have reason.
    did you get trimmer to work???
    keengunNic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    sounds all good...dont know about the backing die out for each round bit.... but you will have reason.
    did you get trimmer to work???
    No.....used a mates hornandy one, your one is definitely missing bits
    #DANNYCENT

You forgot to chamfer? only teases. Looks the goods mate hope they go well for you
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    No.....used a mates hornandy one, your one is definitely missing bits
    bugger....feel free to list all the bits and we sort proceeds later...pretty sure all them fancy pants trimmer bits on handles will be of use to someone with the rest of the bits LOL.

Well met up with Jock at the hand loaders range to run some loads over his labradar.
    First up I shot the 6 rounds i loaded with the old batch of powder.
    Avg speed was still down on my original load data avg speed was 3100fps and accuracy was as expected.
    I can't explain the drop in velocity from my original data where I was getting 3153fps. Either way it's inconsequential as I have almost none of this powder left.
    Next up I shot the 70gn load that gave the best ES from the ladder I did with the new powder. Over 6 shots I had an ES of 24fps which I'm happy enough with.
    Pictured is the group I shot with it, 1 cold bore then 5 shots all through the bull. I'll call that done. Average speed is 3062fps which is plenty.

Name:  20220306_113255.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  3.04 MB

Strangely the old load data with the new powder showed erratic speed and terrible accuracy with a spread of 3092-3141 fps
    So maybe it's not anemic at all. Certainly the labradar showed the in accuracy of the optical chrono.....again.
    Thanks to Jock for letting me use your labradar again
    #DANNYCENT

With the 70gn load whether the cold bore caused the shot to the left of the bull or possibly shooter error (pulled) it doesn't matter the other 5 shots went through the bull
    Micky Duck likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

Here is a pic showing the 6 shot group using the original load data and old batch of powder

Name:  20220306_141833.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  3.23 MB

Here is a pic using the original load data with the new powder quite a difference accuracy wise and ES wise.

Name:  20220306_141907.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  3.49 MB

That low flier to the left was the last shot of the string and on inspecting the case after firing it was damaged on the rim which might also explain why it was a little tricky to chamber I the first place.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    #DANNYCENT