Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By fernleaf
  • 1 Post By grandpamac

Thread: ADI 5.56mm F1 62gr fmj

ADI 5.56mm F1 62gr fmj

Hi everyone, does anyone here know much about these projectiles, are they any good and what 1000 of them are worth please? Cheers

depending on rifles twist rate they are good for big animals,small animals,paper or sweet stuff all..as for price...tops would be 20c each down to sweet stuff all.
    very much depends on end user as to if they are worth loading or not,plenty of better options.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Greetings,
    My experience with FMJ military projectiles is mixed. 150 grain M2 projectiles salvaged from military .30-06 ammo shot really well in my .308. 144 grain NATO 7.62mm projectiles used by the target shooters in the 80's shot like shit. Frontier 155 grain plated projectiles shoot well in my .308 but no good for hunting. These cost about 30 cents each and I use them for short range target.
    So the point here is the above and likely the ADI are low cost target projectiles, good if they shoot for that but good for nothing if they do not. I would pass on them unless you can test some first.
    GPM.

Greetings again,
    I thought that I had some of those projectiles so dug them out. They are quite long so may not stabilise in the 1 in 12" twist of many .223 rifles assuming that is what you have in mind. They should stabilise in the 8 and 9" twists of todays rifles but many are still hobbled with the 12"
    GPM.

They benefit from being weight sorted, but have a reputation for having only slightly above average performance (great for chonking through ARs though) . Price was around $200 for 1000 back in the 'good old days'. Probably a limited market for them at the moment...
    Micky Duck likes this.
    In longrange riflery, trajectory is the pure science part. Gravity is a constant for our purposes.
    Wind is in the art department.
    Light is pure fucking voodoo.

Greetings yet again,
    I can remember the sorting that the full bore shooters used to go through with the old 144 grain projectiles they were forced to use in their 7.62 rifles. Additional to weight they sorted for the size and shape of the exposed lead in the base plus other things I have forgotten. Their barrels also had slow twists and tight barrel dimensions. Accuracy life for a barrel was 1,000 rounds or less. Not all went through this process but the top guns did.
    Getting back to the 62 grain FMJ projectiles they may shoot in your rifle but they may not so is it worth the risk?
    Regards Grandpamac.
    PS. Some still shoot TR class which is the same as used 30 plus years back but they don't use the 144 grain pills anymore.
    Micky Duck likes this.

RCQ
    Gi-Day I have a heap of American Eagle red packet 223 Rem 55grain Full Metal Jacket Boat Tail spare if that will do.
    Hopefully passing Auckland later in month so can bring it up.
    I sell it for $25 a packet of 20.
    PM if you want any.