Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

.308 and Speer 180 grain BTSP bullets

I was thinking of taking my BSA Majestic in .308 for the roar again this year.

I have always used 150 grain bullets in the .308, but this year was thinking of loading 180 grain Speer BTSP's in it, with AR2208 to around 2500-2600 fps.

I generally shoot things at fairly short range during the roar, 10 to 50 metres. The Speer 180 BTSP is supposed to be a soft long range bullet - has anyone used it much? How would it go at short ranges at these speeds?

This isn't to say that the 150 grain Hornady interlocks I have used for years have not done eveyrthing I wanted really, I ask because I have a nearly full box of these Speers sitting here doing nothing, and the stag I shot last year was pretty big. Maybe I might find another big one. (Ironically I shot that one with a .243. Ever more ironically, while I ask this question about the .308, I have a perfectly good 9.3 Mauser sitting in the wings waiting for its turn, like a lion lying in the long grass...)