Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By stug
  • 1 Post By Barefoot
  • 1 Post By ariki
  • 2 Post By superdiver

Thread: Speer 85gr BTSP 243

Speer 85gr BTSP 243

Anyone used the above? Picked up 200 that were in the "clearance box" at the local for $65 so thought it be rude not to try them. Have been using 85gr Barnes exclusively in my 243 and they have been excellent killers on about 15 or so deer that I've shot with them so far, but, they're spendy as hell and I'm getting a hankering for tinkering again. Would the speers go alright as a mainstay in the 243 0-300yds? Mostly fallow but would probably get the wee rat gun out on the big hills after Chams and reds in the summer. Cheers
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Many years ago, 1989, Graeme Omlo wrote an article for Rod & Rifle about 243 projectiles. He rated the 87gr Hornady spire point the best of the lot. He mentioned a Speer 90gr but it wasn’t as good as the Hornady, but he also reckoned the Hornady was better.
    Personally I’d give them a go.
    If you don’t like them I’ll buy the rest off you.
    tetawa likes this.

Ive used a heap of 80 grn speers, They are great. I would expect the 85 to be the same.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Speer make great cup & core hunting bullets, they should be fine for fallow etc.

Speer make bloody good pills. Haven’t used any in 243 but plenty in 7mm and 308. They produce quick kills so long as you place the pill in the right spot. The BTSP are more frangible in my experience than the FB hot core Speer line so I’d expect them to perform great on fallow at 200-300 yds. Don’t have the flashy pointy bits like others but the boat tail boosts the BC and you’ll drive them plenty fast out of the 243. A bargain!

I've gone back to 85gr projectiles in the 6mm lately, they pretty much all do the job.
    foxhound likes this.
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

Been using 85gn Nosler Partitions for a while now. Shot a really large bodied Red Stag yesterday and projectile performance at 300 yards was impressive.
    dannyb likes this.

The btsp is referred to as the poor man's eldm. Used them in a 308 and they were wicked killers so I would say you will have no trouble getting them to shoot then find they drop game.
    dannyb and Longrun like this.

I have used the 80gr version of the same bullet. It has been my primary 243 pill for goats for over a decade. Accurate and deadly.

Walking my rifle
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Anyone used the above? Picked up 200 that were in the "clearance box" at the local for $65 so thought it be rude not to try them. Have been using 85gr Barnes exclusively in my 243 and they have been excellent killers on about 15 or so deer that I've shot with them so far, but, they're spendy as hell and I'm getting a hankering for tinkering again. Would the speers go alright as a mainstay in the 243 0-300yds? Mostly fallow but would probably get the wee rat gun out on the big hills after Chams and reds in the summer. Cheers
    I used to years ago, they worked on the same load as my 87 vmax. the advertised BC is way higher than actual, killed a few fallow with them, they worked fine, just stuck with vmax as it worked just as well with more BC
    If you can't kill it with bullets, dont f*ck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Fog View Post
    165 gr in the 300 wsm but again bloody hard to find
    Dunno bout that, reloaders supplies has plenty of them in stock
    #DANNYCENT