Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck

Thread: Advice Loading For Sako Bavarian .270

Advice Loading For Sako Bavarian .270

Hello all, So I have done a fair bit of very basic reloading. I started when I was about 15 and it was mainly due to the fact that I could reload for a lot cheaper than buying factory ammo. All fair enough, I never learnt load development though. I have pretty much copied the same components I used for my old .308 load and used it in a .270 load from my reloading manual. Having not done too much experimentation, I figured why not ask on here for some of you guy's experience? I'm sure a lot of you have done a ton of reloading so any knowledge you might wish to pass on would be greatly appreciated. Currently I'm using 130grain Hornady SST with Hornady brass and AR2209

I have heard from a few people that their Sako rifles seemed to prefer heavier projectiles backed by a less than hot powder load. I wonder how lead free projectiles might go as such seeing as they are longer for their actual weight. But yeah any pointers would be great haha, cheers

I use 145gn eldx with 2213sc powder with great effect in a sako a7

if you intend to go mono/lead free stick with the 110grn type.....you need speed and that seems to be good balance with good expansion.
    I did what you do for years...pretty much still do,pick a middle of the road load and try it....maybe try 3 shot groups increasing powder weight by say .2 grns and see what happens....if you find a better grouping load that isnt flattening primers all well and good.
    sometimes we overthink things.if it works dont muck around with it.
    150grn partitions are awesome on game,simply awesome.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Nothing wrong with the SSTs I'm using atm, but I was looking at what Sako use for their ammo and was some what surprised to see that they were using the lead free 110grain TTSX projectiles. Looking on the Barnes website they recommend 1:9 twist for that while .270 sako 85s are 1:10 IIRC. I find myself curious as to what would be possible with a little experimentation I guess.

the 110 barnes seem to stabalise just fine in a 1:10 and they do kill rather well from the few animals we have taken with them.
    a sample pack of 15 x150grn partitions will take care of up close n personal very well.
    if rifle is suppressed and /or your technique is good going heavier in projectile and faster will work but it comes at a price....the recoil goes up. I started out that way and flinched,so went back to 130s for 20ish years ,never felt undergunned...now rifle is suppressed both projectile weight and powder charges have crept back up. a little faster does kill a little better. shoot animal through shoulders with your .270 and its not going anywhere.......of all the animals I ve shot with it over the years the only ones that moved any distance werent shot through shoulders.....you take out the front wheels and its game over.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

130 ballistic tips would be my choice.

Bos
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    I use 145gn eldx with 2213sc powder with great effect in a sako a7
    Me to. Great all round load

Might have to make up a few with the 110s and see how they go. Any difference between powder manufacturers? I know they have equivalents but are they actually the same?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    the 110 barnes seem to stabalise just fine in a 1:10 and they do kill rather well from the few animals we have taken with them.
    a sample pack of 15 x150grn partitions will take care of up close n personal very well.
    if rifle is suppressed and /or your technique is good going heavier in projectile and faster will work but it comes at a price....the recoil goes up. I started out that way and flinched,so went back to 130s for 20ish years ,never felt undergunned...now rifle is suppressed both projectile weight and powder charges have crept back up. a little faster does kill a little better. shoot animal through shoulders with your .270 and its not going anywhere.......of all the animals I ve shot with it over the years the only ones that moved any distance werent shot through shoulders.....you take out the front wheels and its game over.
    MD, do you know that there is a 140 gr Partition available ?. I have some 140 gr Accubonds to load up but now I discover these 140 Partitions. Suspect they would be the best bullet ever.

bugger...you could well be right..... but if they were to put a fancy plastic tip in a 160grn partition.....that would be talking.
    Ive shot a couple of deer with bog standard 140grn hornady sp and yip they just work.