Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: All good things come to an end.

Quote Originally Posted by T.FOYE View Post
    I only saw this today. Its kinda relevant because its old ammo and in this guys case (unknown origin). Watching this is scarey. Made me look over my own methods and im finally gonna use shooting glasses no matter how annoying they are over my prescription glasses. Thats my sin. But this fella suffered all these injuries and still didnt realise his error was to shoot old unknown ammo. I know he's not a reloader but oh lordy if you're shooting 50cal find a reloader and get the loads verified! As i said, this one is scarey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=1449kJKxlMQ
    there's a lot more to this then meets the eye been around a little while now maker of the gun did a video apparently was so over pressure it stripped the threads off the barrel; which takes over 90,000PSI
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbine View Post
    there's a lot more to this then meets the eye been around a little while now maker of the gun did a video apparently was so over pressure it stripped the threads off the barrel; which takes over 90,000PSI
    Greeting Carbine and all,
    I looked a bit harder at this when the video first appeared. The rifle seemed to have been designed to provide a 50 BMG at the cheapest possible price. There is no action to speak of, just a threaded cap that screws onto the barrel. I don't know if there was any other support or not. 90,000 PSI is a lot of pressure for an arangement like that to take and I would not want to be anywhere near one when it is fired. Add to this is that the shooter was using mixed ammo of unknown origon and you have a disaster waiting to happen. This being the US no doubt the blame shifting and finger pointing continues to this day and the chances of getting a balanced finding are slim to none whatsoever. Plenty of lessons for everyone but noone is likely to be listening.
    Regards Grandpamac.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Greeting Carbine and all,
    I looked a bit harder at this when the video first appeared. The rifle seemed to have been designed to provide a 50 BMG at the cheapest possible price. There is no action to speak of, just a threaded cap that screws onto the barrel. I don't know if there was any other support or not. 90,000 PSI is a lot of pressure for an arangement like that to take and I would not want to be anywhere near one when it is fired. Add to this is that the shooter was using mixed ammo of unknown origon and you have a disaster waiting to happen. This being the US no doubt the blame shifting and finger pointing continues to this day and the chances of getting a balanced finding are slim to none whatsoever. Plenty of lessons for everyone but noone is likely to be listening.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c4w...nnel=markserbu
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ny_...nnel=markserbu
    7mmwsm likes this.

Thanks for that Carbine,
    It was most helpfull to get a better look at some of the components. The barrel cap looks like a pretty tough component judging from the lack of significant damage and the failure has occurred in the threads on the barrel. Barrel steel is a lot softer and there are not that many threads. The braces that theoretically support the breech cap do not seem to have provided much strength. The barrel cap seems to be run in finger tight and then tightened with a spanner. I start to wonder if the cap was a bit loose. The action would still close if the threads were a loose fit but the threads would provide little support leaving the braces to do the initial work. Things would go downhill from there. Mark seems to have pulled the pin on further vids citing work pressure and I can't say I blame him.
    Regards Grandpamac.

My opinion - this will drag on for ever. I gave up following ages ago.
    Many many experts giving their opinions. In one case one expert actually withdrew his "findings" and apologised. Social media had a real feast at the time.
    Interestingly Serbu never withdrew that RN-50 from sale at the time (and it continues to be listed) although that in itself is a bit mute as there was/is an 18 month delivery time.
    Carbine and Micky Duck like this.

loaded up my last 19 loose 22-250 cases today,one had very similar crack in neck to your old CAC case,except didnt quite go all the way out to end/mouth.... had it happen on first firing of factory too... thems the breaks and its why they are known as consumables.....