Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: anealing service

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Yes primers are going to be in short supply here soon as local supplies dry up and the US ban panic effect from 4 months ago starts to hit us. I've got a few thousand stashed so that'll do me for the moment. Buy everything in bulk, before there is an anticipated shortage. Keeps your price down and you don't run out.
    Always the witty cost accountant.

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    Fuck me, it's just annealing, it's not rocket science to get everything even.
    This presumes as Wirehunt says and it has been debated before i.e. the finest brass, the finest primers , the finest powder[all loaded in a vacuum sealed room to avoid contamination] the finest projectile [each measured and weighed] but the Houston boys seem to put some of those myths to bed. The sad result is that componentry is then dependent on the absolute perfect detonation and travel from the shooter with its widely variable element called the human finger.

Your all over thinking this, just heat the neck and shoulder red hot and they will all be exactly the same.... Stuffed!

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    Spanners likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

AB Precision
    How you get on Tussock?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    My heat sink is done and sitting on the bench waiting to fire up. I'm in Wellington at the moment but when I'm home it's top priority.

It looks like it's going to be extremely labor intensive. It fits nicely, I cut the guide hole with my reamer, and it has a stopper so the case ends up in exactly the same place each time, and there is good contact with the heat sink, so the base should be well protected. I will just run a constant RPM and a timer, and maybe get some of that thermometer paint to check my temp is correct. So it's in the same spot each time.

That's where the fun ends. It will be a matter of cleaning each case individually I think, and fitting it to the drill one at a time. I'm prepared for a long tedious process. Once they are all done, I will go back to just prepping what I shoot and doing small runs, a lot less painful and tolerable for the volumes I run.

LOVING the steel cased .223 ammo. Thousands of rounds on the shelf and I just grab some and shoot it and I don't look for cases!
    So with steel wtf are we discussing annealing for? Problem solved yahoo'