Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Annealing after sizing?

AMP will tell you that their machine actually makes the brass softer than is ideal, knowing that you are about to size the case. Sizing then brings up the hardness to the right point. So dong the steps out of sequence on an AMP means you'd have brass that's too soft.

That machine obviously does things in a very specific way. It must be technically doable to anneal a little less (post sizing) to just soften the brass the right amount - but I wouldn't believe anyone who told me they could do it accurately and reliably with a blow torch or salt bath.
    mopheadrob likes this.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

Quote Originally Posted by Pommy View Post
    AMP will tell you that their machine actually makes the brass softer than is ideal, knowing that you are about to size the case. Sizing then brings up the hardness to the right point. So dong the steps out of sequence on an AMP means you'd have brass that's too soft.

That machine obviously does things in a very specific way. It must be technically doable to anneal a little less (post sizing) to just soften the brass the right amount - but I wouldn't believe anyone who told me they could do it accurately and reliably with a blow torch or salt bath.
    I do own and use my AMP machine and what convinces me of why it's so Good is the science behind it all.
    The book that Alex wrote gives an amazing insight into how it all came about and why it is really the only option for the perfect anneal every time.
    It has taken the reloading world by storm fora very good reason.

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk
    mopheadrob likes this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

When I first loaded 303B with a press, about 15 yrs ago, I was using 1940s or thereabouts CAC Boxer primed brass and 170gn cast GC boolits. I was very new to reloading rifle. I did 10 with no real issues other than noticing how seating the bullets expanded the neck some. Within 2-3 days after loading most of the necks split. So I read up all I could find, American Forums, on splitting brass and discovered such esoteric things as working brass hardens it, aging makes it brittle, and the answer to such problems is annealing. So I gingerly launched into annealing via the handheld gas torch with brass held in drill and slowly spun while counting to 8 method. Done it that way ever since but dropped using a water bath.

Given I had already resized 100 brass, I then annealed them. No doubt very erratic in terms of consistency and not very scientific. But it worked. Yes, much better to anneal before resizing. Which quickly became my practice. But annealing after I had resized in this instance meant no more neck splits. Awesome!
    mopheadrob and shananah like this.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

This is what I do in that order..

1. De-Prime
    2. Clean
    3. Visual inspection
    4. Anneal every few reloads.
    5. Lube & lightly lube inside of neck
    6. FLRS or neck size
    7. Wash/clean and air dry.
    8. Trim all cases & de-bur.
    9. Prime.
    10 Charge. I then check them all using a torch.
    11. Seat projectile and check length
    zimmer likes this.
    Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
    https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y

Quote Originally Posted by Jhon View Post
    When I first loaded 303B with a press, about 15 yrs ago, I was using 1940s or thereabouts CAC Boxer primed brass and 170gn cast GC boolits. I was very new to reloading rifle. I did 10 with no real issues other than noticing how seating the bullets expanded the neck some. Within 2-3 days after loading most of the necks split. So I read up all I could find, American Forums, on splitting brass and discovered such esoteric things as working brass hardens it, aging makes it brittle, and the answer to such problems is annealing. So I gingerly launched into annealing via the handheld gas torch with brass held in drill and slowly spun while counting to 8 method. Done it that way ever since but dropped using a water bath.

Given I had already resized 100 brass, I then annealed them. No doubt very erratic in terms of consistency and not very scientific. But it worked. Yes, much better to anneal before resizing. Which quickly became my practice. But annealing after I had resized in this instance meant no more neck splits. Awesome!
    1940s CAC Boxer primed? Don't you mean Berdan?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldbloke View Post
    This is what I do in that order..

1. De-Prime
    2. Clean
    3. Visual inspection
    4. Anneal every few reloads.
    5. Lube & lightly lube inside of neck
    6. FLRS or neck size
    7. Wash/clean and air dry.
    8. Trim all cases & de-bur.
    9. Prime.
    10 Charge. I then check them all using a torch.
    11. Seat projectile and check length
    Same sequence I use and probably many others except I've long since given the washing the flick. Just not necessary. Will depnd upon the lube used of course.

Also the way my set up works is I weigh a charge, tip into case, seat projectile. Whilst I'm seating the projectile my next charge is being dispensed.
    The reason I went to weigh one load one is I used to charge all cases then seat. I had a couple of woops when the tray of 20 cases was almost all charged and I bumped the next charge passing over the tray depositing powder in several cases. Couldn't be sure which ones had powder added so redid the whole lot.
    Charge one load one for me is no slower than charging a whole tray then seating.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Same sequence I use and probably many others except I've long since given the washing the flick. Just not necessary. Will depnd upon the lube used of course.

Also the way my set up works is I weigh a charge, tip into case, seat projectile. Whilst I'm seating the projectile my next charge is being dispensed.
    The reason I went to weigh one load one is I used to charge all cases then seat. I had a couple of woops when the tray of 20 cases was almost all charged and I bumped the next charge passing over the tray depositing powder in several cases. Couldn't be sure which ones had powder added so redid the whole lot.
    Charge one load one for me is no slower than charging a whole tray then seating.
    Much the same as mine although right from the start I have charged each case and then seated the projectile after looking down into the case to check for powder. Sizing and expanding are often done in two steps, especially when using a Lee Loader for the .303.
    GPM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhon View Post
    No doubt very erratic in terms of consistency and not very scientific. But it worked. Yes, much better to anneal before resizing. Which quickly became my practice. But annealing after I had resized in this instance meant no more neck splits. Awesome!
    Thanks @Jhon, that's the answer I was looking for!

And yes @zimmer, I agree with the charge + seat each projectile individually. I still wash though (ultrasonic) because I find the clean cases help with the visual inspection.

Given I don't have decapping dies and am not in a position to go out and buy them right now, I de-prime and size in one hit. In that case, should my process be:

1. Anneal
    2. De-prime & size
    3. Clean
    4. Inspect
    5. Trim, de-burr, uniform pockets
    6. Prime
    7. Charge + seat
    zimmer likes this.

That makes sense to me.

But this is all I used for years to deprime. You could even make one.

https://www.rebelgunworks.com.au/pro...apping-die-pin
    zimmer likes this.
    Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
    https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y

Quote Originally Posted by mopheadrob View Post
    Thanks @Jhon, that's the answer I was looking for!

And yes @zimmer, I agree with the charge + seat each projectile individually. I still wash though (ultrasonic) because I find the clean cases help with the visual inspection.

Given I don't have decapping dies and am not in a position to go out and buy them right now, I de-prime and size in one hit. In that case, should my process be:

1. Anneal
    2. De-prime & size
    3. Clean
    4. Inspect
    5. Trim, de-burr, uniform pockets
    6. Prime
    7. Charge + seat
    Yep, all good. No problem depriming and sizing at the same time. I'm guessing 95% of handloaders do that and if using a progressive press that's what happens and the primer pockets most likely get no attention at all. (There's another long standing argument akin to the FLSing versus Neck sizing one ie do primer pockets need cleaning.)

Step 3 before step 2. This is when you may first pick up defects eg a split neck which would render the case for a trip to the bin rather than decap and size and further process it. That's not to say defects won't be picked up once resized or all the way thru the process.
    I also clean my brass before it goes thru my dies. A wipe down with Krazy Kloth mainly to remove powder stains up around the neck (used to use white spirits), and a heavy brush inside the necks. That suits my style of shooting but if you're picking up your fired brass from the ground you may need to clean differently. I avoid at all costs any shit going into my dies.

I'm at an age now when I can afford all the gear so I have decapping dies and a hand held Harvey decapper. I have also bought some useless equipment in recent years.

Primer pockets only really need uniforming when the brass is new. I used to uniform the depth of all my new brass' pockets once. Now I don't bother as generally quality brass is quite uniform. But when new I do debur the flash hole inside the case. Only need to do this once. Poorer quality brass where they punch the flash holes has burrs poking out which can affect uniform ignition. You could argue that for hunting ammo this is an uneccessary step but as I said you only need to do it once.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldbloke View Post
    That makes sense to me.

But this is all I used for years to deprime. You could even make one.

https://www.rebelgunworks.com.au/pro...apping-die-pin
    That's all I used for several years when I first started out. A Ramset concrete nail ground down on the end to fit primer pocket flash holes.
    To get going I also made many bits and pieces - reloading blocks, funnels, drop tube, mil serp brass primer crimp cutter, various designs of simple primer pocket cleaners, and so on. I have only bought flash harry reloading blocks in recent years but still have and use my old home made wooden blocks.
    The quality of ammo loaded in my old wooden blocks is just as good as the commercial plastic ones
    Oldbloke likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mopheadrob View Post
    Thanks all. The consensus confirms what I assumed re. preferably annealing before sizing, but my point was that I'd already sized this batch.

On the basis of @Dicko's comment I might give it a crack with the .243 now, and start annealing the 7WSM next time around.

Yes @andyanimal31, I'd much prefer to use an AMP but need a zero cost option right now.
    Mate I do it for free for forum members. Have a few pilots now as the deal is if I don't have the right one you buy it for me.
    zimmer and dannyb like this.