Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Annealing, neck turning all that attention to neck tension and true Centering

Quote Originally Posted by 10-Ring View Post
    Proper annealing is not so much about extending brass life, which it does, but more so about achieving uniform neck tension and thus better accuracy.

Have a look at the latest testing done by AMP. Good reading: https://www.ampannealing.com/article...he-microscope/

AMP manufacture their state of art annealer here in NZ. Well worth the money IMHO and their customer service is brilliant.
    What a great article and all measured scientifically and recorded.
    I now feel justified in my purchase of the AMP annealer as I reckon that my bullet seating pressure's have felt more even.
    Interesting about the gas sealing as I used to get that and just realised after buying and using the annealler it has stopped.
    Go figure!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    rewa likes this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Quote Originally Posted by stagstalker View Post
    For those who don't have the flash machines, how are you doing your annealing? Ive seen the battery drill and blowtorch method but wonder if your results will be just as inconsistent anyway due to the guesswork involved?
    I use a candle myself, my milsurps are too inaccurate to tell if it improves accuracy but I do it to extend case life.

Your question about consistency in annealing goes to the heart of the matter: is annealing a matter of degrees, or is it either achieved or not? If it's a matter of degrees, then an automated machine is the only way to go, if it's mainly a matter of just doing it or not then most methods will do.

I suspect that a lot of what we call "annealing" is actually not "annealing" but "stress relief" which can be achieved at lower temperatures.

Heat Treating of Copper and Copper Alloys
    rewa and stagstalker like this.

My view is that annealing and neck turning has its place as far as making brass last and chamber in certain rifles but as far as it being some magical answer to shooting tiny little groups? That's what they call in the medical world "the placebo effect" you can do all sorts of things to try and achieve accuracy but theres always a massive flaw in the system and that's the big floppy piece of meat with a heartbeat and a need to breathe hanging onto the trigger.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    My view is that annealing and neck turning has its place as far as making brass last and chamber in certain rifles but as far as it being some magical answer to shooting tiny little groups? That's what they call in the medical world "the placebo effect" you can do all sorts of things to try and achieve accuracy but theres always a massive flaw in the system and that's the big floppy piece of meat with a heartbeat and a need to breathe hanging onto the trigger.
    So... buy a bipod or an AMP annealer.... let me see... (-:

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    It's not a magical answer to accuracy as you say. However, in an accurate firearm with a good shooter, uniform neck tension is something that contributes to increased accuracy. As repeatable accuracy comes from consistency of all factors involved. Some of the world's best competition shooters use the AMP annealer. They wouldn't be doing that if it was a waste of time and money.
    chainsaw and rewa like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    I suspect that a lot of what we call "annealing" is actually not "annealing" but "stress relief" which can be achieved at lower temperatures.

Heat Treating of Copper and Copper Alloys
    Recovery is the term usually used in brasses, though the early stages of recovery are sometimes referred to as stress relieving. The reasons this might be applied are referred to in the article. Reloaders aim for some degree of recrystallisation requiring higher temperatures.

Consistency, repeatability...
    10-Ring and Steelisreal like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-Ring View Post
    It's not a magical answer to accuracy as you say. However, in an accurate firearm with a good shooter, uniform neck tension is something that contributes to increased accuracy. As repeatable accuracy comes from consistency of all factors involved. Some of the world's best competition shooters use the AMP annealer. They wouldn't be doing that if it was a waste of time and money.
    I deffinately agree any induction annealing is worthwhile....now. Made my own regular gas one but i could never get my sd and es right down with it. I got far better results just shooting a no neck turn chamber and loading the brass back up after a shoulder bump.