Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Aoraki Amunition Company

Quote Originally Posted by MassiveAttack View Post
    I hope Aoraki keep going. I can well imagine how some local boys bringing in ammo for low margins would make the owners of the chain gun shops get their panties in a bunch. There must be a similar dynamic with farmlands selling shotgun ammo for $15 odd a box when the chain gun stores sell it for $25 odd a box. Normally the way this sort of thing is stomped on is for them to complain back to the manufacturers and try and get them to stop supplying the parallel importers. This is all based on nothing but mt own speculation but I have seen it happen before.
    barnual which shoots like crap is 62cents each and cant be reloaded. Many gunshops seem to have it and along comes brass PMC for 52cents which you can sell or reload, yeah I bet they are happy, not.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

I guess that's a big advantage of having either at least either a 223 or 308 as one of your rifles in the cabinet.
    We all know there are far better calibers if looking at ballistic performance on paper but to have option to be able to buy factory 223 @ 50C and 308 $1 a pop to practice plus great barrel life in these calibres is something sometimes overlooked.
    Can then switch to hotter ballistic tip hunting loads or the more expensive to feed calibre on the hunt.

R93
    I am hoping it is a rumour as I and other members have ordered a huge amount of ammo.
    When following it up we were told it may not happen.
    I spose time will tell.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by jackson21 View Post
    Looking at getting into reloading soon with a progressive Dillon for .223 and 9mm as chopping through a bit. Came across this Aoraki ammunition company wholesaling and appears you can buy bulk .223 for around .55c each and 9mm around .40c bulk buying.
    Can anyone compare roughly what they think they are reloading these calibres for?
    The .223 is FMJ so not trying to compare to a carefully constructed hunting type load.

Comments on their facebook page seem positive so far.
    Any thoughts, or anyone else sampled?

Searched on here and nothing came up?
    Get the Dillon sorted, all this cheap ammo is great and I use it when it's available with a good projectile BUT often it's not. In fact the supply is VERY unreliable. That means you have to choices, buy a shitload when it's around OR crank up the press.

Surprised to see so many using 2208 for loading the .223. 2207 is minute of rabbit past 200 and with less powder needed.

Good hunting projectile 25c
    primer 5c
    2207 powder 15c
    steven and jackson21 like this.

Going to get 1 more bulk lot then start reloading. Will have a nice Brass stockpile, next dilemma is the Dillion 550 vs 650 debate.
    Will go back through some of the pros cons on the forum but what I have been lead to believe is if going to start cranking ammo out after a few months you will want to try upgrade to a 650?
    Obviously it is a more expensive proposition on initial setup.

Honestly can't see why the Korean's would give a fuck about them selling their stuff cheaper than others. Not like they have been importing this ammo beforehand.
    steven likes this.

I was given 500 rounds of PMC 22lr by a mates dad, best behaving ammo I've ever had in my wee Marlin. Wish I could get more of it. Miles better than most other stuff.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  760.2 KB

Serious Shooters, get in best deal I have had yet. 1000 9mm $395 200 308 $197 should be good ammo and good brass to load later, only problem was I almost walked out with a scope didn't really need��
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by jackson21 View Post
    Going to get 1 more bulk lot then start reloading. Will have a nice Brass stockpile, next dilemma is the Dillion 550 vs 650 debate.
    Will go back through some of the pros cons on the forum but what I have been lead to believe is if going to start cranking ammo out after a few months you will want to try upgrade to a 650?
    Obviously it is a more expensive proposition on initial setup.
    Same here, I am collecting brass, handloading 223 is no fun when I can go through 100~200 per hour at the range. A 550 kitted out $800 a 650, $999 so 2 hundred more. Banana quotes 37cents each, v 52 cents. 52-37=15cents. $999/0.15=6660 rounds to break even, so for me that would be 4+ years. The time saved however is huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    8><-------

Good hunting projectile 25c
    primer 5c
    2207 powder 15c
    For a rabbit why use a SP at 25cents? a FMJ is going to vapourise a rabbit anyway? and its 13.5cents.

2207, thanks for that tip, I use 2208 as I get it cheaper ditto 2206H than in the shops works out about 19cents.

primers at 5cents? where from?

But the differance is at 1333 rounds - so go the 650. The time saving is massive as you mentioned

I have one and its the shit. I shoot more 9mm than 223, but store up the 223 until theres a few, prep and load all of them, then swap the press back to 9, and i load in smaller sessions but more often. Ie load up 3-400, every week or 2, but 2-300 223 maybe 3 monthly ( soon to change )

On thread though, that pricing is rather good. Hopefully they hang around

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    Same here, I am collecting brass, handloading 223 is no fun when I can go through 100~200 per hour at the range. A 550 kitted out $800 a 650, $999 so 2 hundred more. Banana quotes 37cents each, v 52 cents. 52-37=15cents. $999/0.15=6660 rounds to break even, so for me that would be 4+ years. The time saved however is huge.
    steven likes this.

If this ammo hangs around (Is readily available) then even I will buy some just to get the case to reload. Will it continue to be available?
    Its close cost wise for my first round reload cost where I have to purchase the case. Cost per round reloading using once fired cases is 15 - 20 cents per round cheaper so I wont be stopping reloading any time soon.
    The best invention ever is one of these brass catchers if you reload.
    Caldwell AR15 Brass Catcher Picatinny Rail - Magazines - Gun Parts - Reloaders Supplies Ltd

If you shoot +800 rounds a month buy a Dillon 650 with a Mr bullet feeder. I have one set up for 38 super and set up correctly, +1000 rounds per hour is easy. These are better left set up in a single calibre in my experience.
    I use a couple of Dillon 550 for everything else (One set up for large rifle primers and one set up for small rifle primers. I am lazy). 500-600 .223 rounds per hour is easy on these and calibre changes are quick and easy.
    R93, steven and Beaker like this.

That is real pain with the 650( or any other progressive) swapping primers......
    However i use small rifle for pistol and 223,.....

And those brass catchs are the best out i reackon. Easy on and off, and the bag holds up so doesnt slow/stop cases coming out ( ie the velcro on ones). Plus just buy a couple of extras mounts and you have a few rifles covered with one bag

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    If this ammo hangs around (Is readily available) then even I will buy some just to get the case to reload. Will it continue to be available?
    Its close cost wise for my first round reload cost where I have to purchase the case. Cost per round reloading using once fired cases is 15 - 20 cents per round cheaper so I wont be stopping reloading any time soon.
    The best invention ever is one of these brass catchers if you reload.
    Caldwell AR15 Brass Catcher Picatinny Rail - Magazines - Gun Parts - Reloaders Supplies Ltd

If you shoot +800 rounds a month buy a Dillon 650 with a Mr bullet feeder. I have one set up for 38 super and set up correctly, +1000 rounds per hour is easy. These are better left set up in a single calibre in my experience.
    I use a couple of Dillon 550 for everything else (One set up for large rifle primers and one set up for small rifle primers. I am lazy). 500-600 .223 rounds per hour is easy on these and calibre changes are quick and easy.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

I think the rumors might be a bit misconstrued. They got a lot of shit from NZ retailers for selling direct to the public. PMC was one of the few manufacturers that were interested in their business model, so I was told.
    R93, mikee, steven and 1 others like this.