Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Aussie MF F4 ammo

Does anyone happen to know what powder the Aussies loaded in their MF F4 ammo and the charge weight. I am looking at trying to replicate the load. This was great stuff but the supply has all but dried up
    Cheers

For what its worth, the Aussie 144gn FMJ ADI projectiles have a G1 Ballistic Coefficient = 0.379 (From ADI themselves).
    Welcome to Sako club.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    For what its worth, the Aussie 144gn FMJ ADI projectiles have a G1 Ballistic Coefficient = 0.379 (From ADI themselves).
    And thousands and thousands of the 144 projectiles that came to the NZ rifles clubs for reloading were crap and had already been rejected by our cuzzies across the ditch. So if you wish to replicate the 144 Aus mil and source projectiles here you may end up with the tail end of some of the crap. Agree with Mauser308 - why bother. And if you like that type of ammo, although it is getting extremely hard to come by now, there is occasionally MEM, SA or Singaporean milsurp popping up.

Yeah, I struggle to get less than 1.5-2 MOA with the 144gns.
    Even the 62gn .224 projectiles (Steel core) are pretty poor for groupings. Cheap though. 15c each from Magnum imports.
    Last edited by dogmatix; 22-06-2015 at 01:39 PM.
    Welcome to Sako club.

F4 is just machine-gun ammo the projectiles are under size, the Fullbore shooters use barrels designed for them groove diameter was .3075" and a 14" twist I have one screwed into a Mauser 98 action
    best it will do is .900" 5 shot groups not all the time average is more like 1 1/4"

R93
    Back in the 80's we used what was designated F4 ball in the C3 and SLR and for the Army Full bore team.

MEN manufactured ammo was the common link ammo used for the L7A2 (GPMG) and LG42 co-ax.

Seems F4 is now only good for MG'S
    I think they use Lapua and Cooper match in the new DMW and AW.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Yeah the F4 - 144 grain projectiles gives 2-3 MOA out of my 300AAC, fine for service rifle but would not win a bench rest comp. Odd, you get a few that shoot well and then a number of fliers. On weighing they seem to vary quite a bit but most noticeable is the .3065 diameter which is definitely a little on the narrow side.

Cheers thanks for that
    It looks from what I've been able to find out,that the powder was actually the old 2206. I will therefore pull some and weigh the charge
    I've shot all sorts of service ball ammo over the years and the F4 still seems to be the best. I intend to replicate the load using berdan cases and adi projectiles

I agree with some of the other comments on the quality of the projectiles we used to get from the Aussies. I've been told they used to come off 3 different machine lines which was the problem with the variation in weight