Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Blending powders

I was wrong, it happens from time to time.

ADI reported in December ADI propellant update/
    "AR2208, AR2209 – These propellants will be available in both 1kg and 4kg bottles for the foreseeable future and we have these propellants represented through the different stages of manufacture almost constantly."

Clearly some shooters find batches to be different.

Ah, the thread title made me think this was about mixing two different types of powder (one slow, one faster in a predetermined ratio) to formulate a new one!

Apparently it was a done thing back in the days of Jack O' Connor et al. However, Richard Lee specifically reccomends against trying this in Modern Reloading Vol.2

Probably because he tried it and gun went BOOM not BANG

I'm forever worried enough about blowing my face off as it is, let alone having extra help
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by caberslash View Post
    Ah, the thread title made me think this was about mixing two different types of powder (one slow, one faster in a predetermined ratio) to formulate a new one!

Apparently it was a done thing back in the days of Jack O' Connor et al. However, Richard Lee specifically reccomends against trying this in Modern Reloading Vol.2

Probably because he tried it and gun went BOOM not BANG
    Greetings,
    The times before about 1970 are called the "Intrepid Years" by some writers. Many Handloading Manuals had data that was not pressure tested. Methods for working up loads would make most modern handloaders hair stand on end. Some of these loads persisted in load manuals as late as 2000 and yes a few guns went boom with them and a lot of cases did not survive their first load. Fortunately those days are largely behind us, or would be if a few of us did not think we are handloading ninjas.
    Regards Grandpamac.

As others have said, i mix same powders together if I have a few bottles. Don't know if it makes for more consistent shooting. I'm probably not a good enough shot to find out.