Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Blending powders

Blending powders

I'm about to start some load development for 308 using 2208 powder. I have 3 opened bottles of it all with different batch numbers. Is there any reason why I cant mix all 3 together before starting? Would be a shame to get a good load then have to rework it once on bottle runs out, a combination of all three will give me plenty of shooting before ever needing to buy more. Theres a thread on here that suggests that the 1lb bottles of 2208 are just floor sweepings and are wildly inconsistent between batches? I've never experienced that with any ADI powders, have used plenty of 2208, 2213sc, 2225, 2217 and never had a problem between batches but I'm not so confident now!
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

northdude
    Ive done it before didnt blow anything up they both smelt the same so mixed them together same kind of powder 2206h i think it was or 2208 cant remember

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    ... thread on here that suggests that the 1lb bottles of 2208 are just floor sweepings and are wildly inconsistent between batches? ..
    What a load of bollocks. There may be batch variations over time but floor sweepings???!!

If you're planning on sticking with one load and have various batches, there is a case for mixing them into one "lot" before you get started.
    veitnamcam likes this.

That makes sense actually
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by 6x47 View Post
    What a load of bollocks. There may be batch variations over time but floor sweepings???!!

If you're planning on sticking with one load and have various batches, there is a case for mixing them into one "lot" before you get started.
    But but but...one day it will all be used up and no recipe to make a new batch.

Banned

Agreed, 2208 isn't sweepings, they don't use a broom at a powder factory. It's out of the Dyson

Caretaker
    2208 was made for the US team to win 600yrds and 1000Yrd matches
    veitnamcam likes this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Personally, id do it.
    I don't go as far as bothering with batch numbers of powder, or primers.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Thats what I do

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGunn View Post
    But but but...one day it will all be used up and no recipe to make a new batch.
    but it’ll prob be closer to the average than a lone randon cannister

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    chainsaw likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    I'm about to start some load development for 308 using 2208 powder. I have 3 opened bottles of it all with different batch numbers. Is there any reason why I cant mix all 3 together before starting? Would be a shame to get a good load then have to rework it once on bottle runs out, a combination of all three will give me plenty of shooting before ever needing to buy more. Theres a thread on here that suggests that the 1lb bottles of 2208 are just floor sweepings and are wildly inconsistent between batches? I've never experienced that with any ADI powders, have used plenty of 2208, 2213sc, 2225, 2217 and never had a problem between batches but I'm not so confident now!
    I had wondered about doing the same thing.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

I use 12 - 15 kg of 2208 per year, usually buying 20 kg at a time.
    Been fortunate had the same batch number for a couple of years until a new batch last year.

Last time the batches changed I prepared 12 cases of the "old" batch, 12 of the "new" batch.
    Took them to a range. Shot batch 1, let the rifle cool, shot batch 2 (won't say which was old and which was new).
    Statistically the speeds, extreme spread, and std deviation were near enough to identical.
    The scores were, near enough, identical.

Thought about it. ADI probably make a lot of 2208, so much so that they should be able to get the same performance out of each batch.

That's my thoughts and my experience, yours may differ.
    veitnamcam, 57jl and Max Headroom like this.

Not experienced it myself but read plenty of anecdotes on people that find quite a variation in lots especially it would seem 2208. Mixing it all to get an average sounds a good idea.

sneakywaza I got
    You shooting animals, or for points at a thousand yards?........ it's .308, possibly the most forgiving reloaders cartridge on the planet. mix it and carry on, or don't, the result will be the same. Or, give you powder to me and buy new stuff for you!
    Micky Duck likes this.

it cant hurt, if there's any significant batch to batch variation then mixing bottles of same powder/different batches can only help. But you probably need a fairly thorough mixing to get a uniform blend.