Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree199Likes

Thread: Brass damage ?? Help

Well that all turned to shit rather quickly
    Dougie and pepper123 like this.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Exactly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Ruin View Post
    From that rather grainy photo of the bolt was it an actual gas cut or a sooty ring that has not actually cut into the metal?
    Exactly. I've seen many bolt faces that had a sooty ring on them and that weren't etched. A lot of shooters don't clean their bolt faces and probably never will.

The retailers that reckon X-Bolt rifles are prone to having etched bolt faces sounds like pure BS to me though.
    Last edited by 10-Ring; 02-06-2017 at 12:48 PM.
    CZ Lux and 6x47 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pepper123 View Post
    Your also a know it all fuck head

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Please take a week off, calm down, realise that people are trying to help you and that the "professionals" in the shops are
    a) incentivised to try avoid rectifying the (cosmetic) damage that the faulty ammunition they sold you has caused to your rifle, and
    b) are by no means more knowledgeable than many members here

Also homophobic slurs are a no-go, bump the brakes on that one right away.
    P38, gadgetman, Dougie and 8 others like this.

If anything hornady would be forking out so why would a shop care it's not there fault .
    The consumers guarantee act puts the onus on the retailer to sort out the issue with the customer. It is then up to the retailer to deal with their supplier.

https://www.consumerprotection.govt....uarantees-act/

be of acceptable quality (durable, safe, fit for purpose, free from defects, acceptable in look or finish)
    Consumer Guarantees Act 1993 No 91 (as at 01 March 2017), Public Act Contents – New Zealand Legislation
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

P38
    I'm guessing everyone on this forum are gunsmiths? Lol

@pepper123

Mate I gave you my best advise based on being a Professional Engineer (Toolmaker) with many associated engineering qualifications to my name including a very good knowledge and understanding of fits and finishes and metallurgy, a Firearms Collector and a Reloader with over 40 years experience, based on the evidence you presented me with.

And while I respect the opinion your chosen gunsmith has given you based on examining your rifle, something which I haven't, I do agree with the general opinion given here.

The etching on the bolt face is not normal and while it maybe cosmetic it will have an effect on the resale value of this firearm as it indicates that the rifle has been exposed to over pressure loads at some stage during its life.

And whoever told you "All X-Bolts have etched bolt faces due to the precision head spacing" plainly has very little knowledge of what causes this etching.

There is no question in my mind that will diminish the resale value of your rifle.

The guys in the gun stores are salespeople, I'm an engineer so it would be expected that we would differ in our opinions
    based on our knowledge, experience and perspective.

Especially if a liability exists.

That said if your happy with the response you have been given from the gunshop and the box of ammo then End of Story as that's your business.

Calling people here that have tried to help and that I respect names is just mean spirited and way out of line.

For that alone I won't be willing to help you out any more.

Cheers
    Pete
    Arguing with an Engineer is like Wrestling a Pig in Mud.

After awhile you realise the Pig loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by P38 View Post
    @pepper123

Mate I gave you my best advise based on being a Professional Engineer (Toolmaker) with many associated engineering qualifications to my name including a very good knowledge and understanding of fits and finishes and metallurgy, a Firearms Collector and a Reloader with over 40 years experience, based on the evidence you presented me with.

And while I respect the opinion your chosen gunsmith has given you based on examining your rifle, something which I haven't, I do agree with the general opinion given here.

The etching on the bolt face is not normal and while it maybe cosmetic it will have an effect on the resale value of this firearm as it indicates that the rifle has been exposed to over pressure loads at some stage during its life.

And whoever told you "All X-Bolts have etched bolt faces due to the precision head spacing" plainly has very little knowledge of what causes this etching.

There is no question in my mind that will diminish the resale value of your rifle.

The guys in the gun stores are salespeople, I'm an engineer so it would be expected that we would differ in our opinions

That said if your happy with the response you have been given from the gunshop and the box of ammo then End of Story as that's your business.

Calling people here that have tried to help and that I respect names is just mean spirited and way out of line.

Cheers
    Pete
    Yea a qualified this and a qualified that like everyone else . I didn't ask for your help . It was all good until everyone made out like the rifle was a throwaway. Then obviously all the experts have piped up . Stating there huge qualifications over a bit of etching on a bolt . I couldn't give a fuck all I wanted to know if the rifle was ok. I'm not going to go out of my way to get a replacement bolt over a bit of etching .

You did ask for our help and took it until we told you something you couldnt comprehend.
    I dont rate your chances of getting anymore value or help from this forum

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    You did ask for our help and took it until we told you something you couldnt comprehend.
    I dont rate your chances of getting anymore value or help from this forum
    Bullshit you couldn't handle that the shops and gunsmith gave out proper information not like the muppet go get a new bolt comments

@pepper123

Mate - I've picked up a lot of useful information from the majority of the posters here.
    I have an Omark 308 single shot target rifle that exhibits a 'smoke ring' around the firing pin.
    Having read of the 'etching' problem that has been discussed above - a lot of the comments above, are throwaway lines that are purely to display the posters preference for X brand of rifle/firearm and their favourite calibre - are usually tongue in cheek replies - not always directed at you personally.
    Don't worry buddy, I've been on the receiving end of 'being put in my place' by some of the Good Buggers above.
    Let it go mate - these guys were offering various explanations for similar events they've seen or experienced.
    Plus there'll be a certain amount of BS in the commentaries, which they hope will 'encourage' you to sell it cheap on the 'Buy, Sell, Swap' forum.
    That way they'll get a near new cheapie and a big smile for pulling the wool over your eyes
    Bye the bye - the 'smoke ring' around my firing pin?
    Years of shooting and poor cleaning practise - scratched the smoke ring with the tip of my finger nail - no etching.
    Several of the senior members here are practising gunsmiths and retailers, so their input is designed to help a 'newbie' make a decision on a course of action.
    A second opinion always helps - you've received 10 pages of assistance from a lot of experienced people.
    Rubbishing them and indulging in name calling will block this very excellent resource from helping you out in future

Quote Originally Posted by WallyR View Post
    @pepper123

Mate - I've picked up a lot of useful information from the majority of the posters here.
    I have an Omark 308 single shot target rifle that exhibits a 'smoke ring' around the firing pin.
    Having read of the 'etching' problem that has been discussed above - a lot of the comments above, are throwaway lines that are purely to display the posters preference for X brand of rifle/firearm and their favourite calibre - are usually tongue in cheek replies - not always directed at you personally.
    Don't worry buddy, I've been on the receiving end of 'being put in my place' by some of the Good Buggers above.
    Let it go mate - these guys were offering various explanations for similar events they've seen or experienced.
    Plus there'll be a certain amount of BS in the commentaries, which they hope will 'encourage' you to sell it cheap on the 'Buy, Sell, Swap' forum.
    That way they'll get a near new cheapie and a big smile for pulling the wool over your eyes
    Bye the bye - the 'smoke ring' around my firing pin?
    Years of shooting and poor cleaning practise - scratched the smoke ring with the tip of my finger nail - no etching.
    Several of the senior members here are practising gunsmiths and retailers, so their input is designed to help a 'newbie' make a decision on a course of action.
    A second opinion always helps - you've received 10 pages of assistance from a lot of experienced people.
    Rubbishing them and indulging in name calling will block this very excellent resource from helping you out in future
    Absolutely mate and I agree with some of what you're saying but a lot the opinions are rubbish and trying to get a bite and acting like know it all kids so that's how I'm treating them . They can't handle that I haven't made a huge scene in the shops demanding some full replacement over a bit of bolt etching even after 3 professionals have given it the thumbs up . It's a load of crap to me so I'll just continue to treat these know it Alls how they behave

Gone But Not Forgotten
    To the OP, I can understand your frustration at some of the replies on this thread. There is no need for anybody to criticise you for not demanding a new bolt. You can take their advice or leave it as it's entirely up to you what you want to do about it. Most on here however, have posted with a genuine concern for your issue.

If you have some minor etching of your bolt face and you decide at some stage to sell the rifle it may or may not knock the asking price down some. That's whether any potential buyer ever noticed the etching in the first place. Even so, the honest thing to do is to make it known to said potential buyer and explain what caused it.

Personally, as long as it was minor, it wouldn't bother me when buying a rifle. Also, I keep my rifles for at least twenty years on average and don't buy rifles to sell. Your mileage may vary - as the saying goes.
    Savage1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-Ring View Post
    To the OP, I can understand your frustration at some of the replies on this thread. There is no need for anybody to criticise you for not demanding a new bolt. You can take their advice or leave it as it's entirely up to you what you want to do about it. Most on here however, have posted with a genuine concern for your issue.

If you have some minor etching of your bolt face and you decide at some stage to sell the rifle it may or may not knock the asking price down some. That's whether any potential buyer ever noticed the etching in the first place. Even so, the honest thing to do is to make it known to said potential buyer and explain what caused it.

Personally, as long as it was minor, it wouldn't bother me when buying a rifle. Also, I keep my rifles for at least twenty years on average and don't buy rifles to sell. Your mileage may vary - as the saying goes.
    Too easy mate this is basically how I feel about the situation.

Brass damage ?? Help

Thanks for the Friday arvo smoko entertainment, just know that a room full of mature engineers have had a good belly laugh at your expense

Pretty much everyone has firearms too, no Brownings though?

She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by P38 View Post
    @pepper123

Cheers
    Pete
    Pete, when can I buy you that well deserved beer?

She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I prefer to be called a cunt but whatever you like buddy.
    Are you 16?

Cam are you asking for consent or something?

Yup this has been an entertaining journey to read indeed, thank you!!

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Sarcasm: lowest from of wit, highest form of intelligence.