Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Brass shortages - options for serious wild cat conversions ?

Ok, further update on my attempts to get a Nosler28 cartridge down to 7BlaserMag. As mentioned above while I got very close to needed results the re-sized 7BM would not chamber. So out with the calipers to troubleshoot the problem. I was thinking it would be neck/shoulder region but turns out the problem is bottom area of case just at & above the head/case wall area and rim rebate. According to published specs N28 should be 0.534 vs 7BM at 0.535.
    My reSized N28 to 7BM measured 0.550 on my calipers and an original 7BM 0.542. So 8thou difference. Also measuring about 5-6mm below the rebate rim there was 6-8 thou difference. See pic below. Then went back and measured another N28 case ….. it showed same larger dimensions as the re-sized “N28 to 7BM”. These were once fired N28 brass FL sized.
    At first I thought it was my BM dies or re-sizing techniques causing that area just above the rim rebate to expand. But then checking another N28 case I realise the mis-match in case dimensions was there all along. Bugger !
    Still a worthwhile excercise and some good learnings. One of which is don’t assume your brass is an exact match for SAAMI specs!?
    Appreciate any others comments, critique and insights.
    Name:  F6204919-A49D-47C5-A6DA-7435F492A5D0.jpeg
Views: 96
Size:  303.2 KB
    Micky Duck likes this.