Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: BSA 243 at the range

BSA 243 at the range

so, reloading experts, here's my story with a conundrum.

First time I've shot this 243. Barrels a 1980s/1990s Collings 22 inch. Rifle is mid to late 1950s.

Shot 3 x 3round groups of factory 100g corelokt at 50m- about 1 inch /1.5inch.

Shot a bunch of 3 shot groups with 95g Targex at 100m- barrel never more than warm.
    Node at 41 g of 2209 was half inch ish for 3 shots at 100m.

Shot some 90 or 95g Sierra Gamechangers at 100m
    3 shot groups= 10 to 12 inches each group.

Boy this barrel does not like these Sierra pills- have read others have had same in 243.

Got home- Boretech Eliminatored the shit out of the barrel- 15 mins wet and rested- 4 x over- the copper fouling was heavy- but subsided towards the 4th set.

1. Will the problem be the Sierra pills, or my barrel is old and collects copper after 30 shots/ clean barrel seemed to shoot great with Targex pills.
    2. Will polishing the bore with Bore paste help?

Thoughts?

P.S, geeze shooting a 243 is sooooo easy compared to me 300wsm Tikka
    Micky Duck and blip like this.

Greetings,
    Most .243 rifles will have a 10 inch twist barrel. This may be marginal with some of the longer projectiles so it would be a good idea to measure the twist. Not surprised the Corelokt shot well as they are a short projectile. The sudden loss of accuracy would suggest a stability problem to me, unless something came loose. These days .243 rifles often have 8 inch twist barrels to stabilise the longer pills.
    GPM.
    Just checked. The 90 and 95 grain Sierra TMK which I think is similar to the Game Changer both require a 9 inch twist or better.
    Last edited by grandpamac; 23-04-2023 at 06:26 PM.
    ANTSMAN, BSA and Moa Hunter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Greetings,
    Most .243 rifles will have a 10 inch twist barrel. This may be marginal with some of the longer projectiles so it would be a good idea to measure the twist. Not surprised the Corelokt shot well as they are a short projectile. The sudden loss of accuracy would suggest a stability problem to me, unless something came loose. These days .243 rifles often have 8 inch twist barrels to stabilise the longer pills.
    GPM.
    Just checked. The 90 and 95 grain Sierra TMK which I think is similar to the Game Changer both require a 9 inch twist or better.
    yeah ive measured mine mate its 10 twist.Given what ive read previously, i sorta expected the GCs to not shoot well, and they didnt

Twist was my first thought too. Try a 90 grain Ballistic tip.
    ANTSMAN and GSP HUNTER like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDuxbury View Post
    Twist was my first thought too. Try a 90 grain Ballistic tip.
    Yeah I forgot to mention I shot 6 90g eldx superformance- they didn't group well either.

Well you have two loads better than an inch...stop fluffing around and use them lol...possibly try the Hornady ,85_87gtn so they had big following years ago when EBRG was very popular
    ANTSMAN and rewa like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Ive got a selection of .243 bullets you can try. Come around and have a look. Including I think 105 targex that shoot in a 1:10.
    Trout, ANTSMAN, 308 and 3 others like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Speer 100g's shoot well
    ANTSMAN, Mooseman and rewa like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    Well you have two loads better than an inch...stop fluffing around and use them lol...possibly try the Hornady ,85_87gtn so they had big following years ago when EBRG was very popular
    Geeze mate you sound gruffer than Tahr yeah I have 90g targex that will get loaded -that I did try yest.
    Tahr and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Ive got a selection of .243 bullets you can try. Come around and have a look. Including I think 105 targex that shoot in a 1:10.
    Thanks mate- I'm tryn to keep it simple- I'll just try the 90g Targex in the BSA once ma Savage Lightweight 243 gets here next week
    Tahr likes this.

My 243 hates those Sierra 90 gr Gamechangers, I got some 100 gr Speer SPBT and they shoot around 15 mm at 100 yds, as do 95 gr SST, and 90 gr Nosler BT. At least you have plenty of options there.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    My 243 hates those Sierra 90 gr Gamechangers, I got some 100 gr Speer SPBT and they shoot around 15 mm at 100 yds, as do 95 gr SST, and 90 gr Nosler BT. At least you have plenty of options there.
    yeah mate- thats what i had read about those Gamechangers.

Aparently as you have said that 6mm gamechanger is a mongrel projectile i remember a discussion around it a few months ago when their was a t3 for sale on trademe
    ANTSMAN likes this.

Name:  20230715_131832.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  3.59 MB

Got back to the range with 95g Targex loads, 5 shots into less than inch @100m.
    Pretty happy with that.
    See how they go on reds in a couple weeks.
    Tahr, GSP HUNTER, zimmer and 5 others like this.

Good shooting. 243 has always been a firm favourate of mine too.
    Was the back of your target covered in clay backblasted by the bullets striking the backstop? I think me and a matee were admiring your BSA this morning at Kaitoke.