Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chainsaw

Thread: Best long range scope with built-in range finder?

Best long range scope with built-in range finder?

My partner is looking for a good quality scope with a built-in range finder for his 300 Win Mag. Happy to spend approx 3k.

He also already has some Sig Sauer Kilo 3000 BDX 10x42mm Rangefinder Binoculars, but would ideally like a scope with a built-in range finder...

Currently looking at either the Sig Sauer Sierra 6.5-20x52mm BDX Riflescope or the Burris Eliminator 3 Laser 4-16x50 Scope... any feedback?

Open to suggestions!

If he has those binos by the 5700 kestrel and a high end dialing scope.

Sent from my SM-A025F using Tapatalk
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

The new sig sauer bdx 6 series would work well with the binos. Sig sauer sierra 6 bdx 3-18x44 or the 5-30x56. Better glass and smaller lines than the Sig Sauer Sierra 6.5-20x52mm (3 series).
    Swarovski ds 5-25x52 gen 2 would be another option but it's expensive and heavy. As andyanimal31 said a high end dialing scope would also work well. I use the sig binos with the kestrel 5700 and a sig scope because it's quicker than dialing but most of the time you have time to setup for longer shots anyway.

Swarovski ds would be hard to ignore if best scope with lrf is what he really wants, weight and cost being the major downside. Considering he's already got the bdx binos a Sierra 6 bdx scope seems the obvious choice to me, however they are range limited by the software. As has already been mentioned a kerstel and dial scope will be best for long range accuracy.

+1 for what Andy said above, he's got good RF capability already so I'd invest in good quality LR optics. The RF built into a scope is going to compromise the optics &/or size/weight of scope.
    6x47 likes this.

If he wants to sell the sig binos ill be all over them please!

Quote Originally Posted by keengunNic View Post
    If he wants to sell the sig binos ill be all over them please!
    Absolutely the best binos ever for a quick solution when paired with the kestrel.
    Before people start banging away about the glass quality I wanted the ballistic solution capability and not to phased about the glass which is not to bad anyway.

Sent from my SM-A025F using Tapatalk
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Hey chainsaw the sig scopes don't have a built in rangefinder so I suppose you were referring to the swarovski or burris scopes. The sierra 6 3-18X44 is only around 674gr so not too heavy compared to similar scopes in magnification just with the added bonus of the bdx system. I'm in the same boat at the moment on wheather to upgrade my 3 series to 6 or get better glass like the swarovski Z8i. A lot cheaper in the EU to pickup than NZ