Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Case length 7mm saum vs 7mm08

Case length 7mm saum vs 7mm08

Quick google tells me these two are the same case length? So if I buy a lee case length gauge for trimming 7mm08 brass it will do the job for my coming saum too?

Cheers

I usually use hogdon trim lengths in there load data area. the 7mm saum isnt on there. https://www.barnesbullets.com/wp-con.../7mm-RSAUM.pdf The link there has a trim length from barnes bullets which i would think would be perfectly usable. google was wrong for me with one of my cals

Quote Originally Posted by stagstalker View Post
    Quick google tells me these two are the same case length? So if I buy a lee case length gauge for trimming 7mm08 brass it will do the job for my coming saum too?

Cheers
    Greetings,
    Unless you have the three jaw chuck you will need a different shell holder which comes with its own case length gauge.
    GPM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Dicko View Post
    I usually use hogdon trim lengths in there load data area. the 7mm saum isnt on there. https://www.barnesbullets.com/wp-con.../7mm-RSAUM.pdf The link there has a trim length from barnes bullets which i would think would be perfectly usable. google was wrong for me with one of my cals
    Greetings,
    You might need to look again at the Hodgdons load data as the 7mm Rem SAUM is there just as it was over a decade ago when I got mine. Same length as the Barnes data.
    GPM.
    Tim Dicko likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Greetings,
    Unless you have the three jaw chuck you will need a different shell holder which comes with its own case length gauge.
    GPM.
    I have a shell holder that will work from other magnum cartridges luckily. Just need the length gauge but obviously saum isn’t all that common hence why i’m lead to believe the 7mm08 one doubles for the saum in terms of correct length?

Greetings,
    You might need to look again at the Hodgdons load data as the 7mm Rem SAUM is there just as it was over a decade ago when I got mine. Same length as the Barnes data.
    GPM.
    cheers mate. i dont have a saum yet but one day i will. its an awesome little cartridge.

sure is mate but it is possible that the two are different at the base the saum may be thicker where the pilot sits in flash hole maybe not to its a completely uneducated theory but it'd be one thing id look into
    stagstalker likes this.

that may cause it to trim wrong?
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    stagstalker likes this.

I use a .260 Lee case length Guage for my 6.5prc with a magnum shell holder. I tested a case and measured first before doing all cases.
    Also I use a .243 Guage shortened down for my 6mm Creedmoor. Tested for trim length with the calipers also.

So I think you could use the 7mm08 guage. Might have to shorten it slightly looking at the cartridge specs Kelton posted.
    Last edited by Roarless20; 12-03-2022 at 09:01 PM. Reason: .
    stagstalker and Kelton like this.

Greetings,
    I see that the trim lengths are the same from the Hodgdon data so try it and measure. With the steep shoulder the cases don't seem to stretch much. The only problem I ran into was that the body of my Lee hand priming tool would not accept the fat base of the SAUM case and I had to open it up slightly. Current Lee priming tools should be fine. My powder funnel needed a trim to clear the shoulder as well. This was early on soon after the cartridge was introduced.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    stagstalker likes this.

Greetings Again,
    There seems to be something odd with the 7mm-08 chamber drawing that Kelton posted. All the other scources seem to agree on a max case length of 2.035 inches, same as the 7mm Rem SAUM.
    GPM
    stagstalker likes this.

Greetings Again,
    There seems to be something odd with the 7mm-08 chamber drawing that Kelton posted. All the other scources seem to agree on a max case length of 2.035 inches, same as the 7mm Rem SAUM.
    GPM
    Could be the Chambering or Max cartridge length instead of recommended trim length.
    stagstalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelton View Post
    that may cause it to trim wrong?
    .10 thou different...yeah she'll be fine.....and you dont have to keep grinding away,no problem to measure with calipers and only trim the ones that are over...
    some of us have previously cocked it up and trimmed stuff waaay too short and it still went bang and hit where supposed to go.
    stagstalker likes this.

Greetings,
    I see that the trim lengths are the same from the Hodgdon data so try it and measure. With the steep shoulder the cases don't seem to stretch much. The only problem I ran into was that the body of my Lee hand priming tool would not accept the fat base of the SAUM case and I had to open it up slightly. Current Lee priming tools should be fine. My powder funnel needed a trim to clear the shoulder as well. This was early on soon after the cartridge was introduced.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    I had that with a WSM too...and then discovered in amoung my bits n pieces a bench mounted priming tool that takes the same shell holders and the press..5minutes in garage and had piece of 4" nail exact right length for primer pushing rod...piece of cake after that and I know I can prime anything I have shell holder for in future if the hand primer ever dies.
    stagstalker likes this.

Greetings Again,
    GPM

agreed that is more like a reamer spec as my reamer spec sheet has it at 2.045 for the saum
    stagstalker likes this.