Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By stagstalker
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By csmiffy

Thread: case trimmer

case trimmer

As I accumulate gear for when I start, I will need one of these. Is there a go-to basic starter I should be looking for?
    Not expecting to do a lot so it doesn't need to be to industrialised or pricy, mind you being able to hook it up to a driver of some sort might be nice.
    also I see some of them do de-burring etc. Is it worth getting something like that to save buying other bits?

I just use the lee case trimmer that goes into a battery drill. Cheap as and works allgood. Just gotta buy the cutter and base shell
    holder then each individual length gauge and shell holder for each caliber.
    Micky Duck likes this.

yip the lee jobbie is the ducks nuts
    my process
    attach case to the head fitted into cordless drill
    pop the cutter and rod in
    give a quick whirl.
    use champher tool to deburr inside n outside of case mouth
    if case a bit dull polish with a choreboy cloth.
    next case.
    stagstalker likes this.

I use the lee cutter on some of my brass but I like the RCBS form and trim die for others. These dies will reform the shell back to factory specs and when it's in the die the excess neck protrudes above the top of the die and you can file it back to factory length.i just got one in from the states for my 300 win mag as I had some brass from a mate that after sizing still wouldn't fit in my rifle. One pass through the die and they fit perfectly. Only problem is they only do the one caliber.

So one of these is a good starting point? This is what you mean?
    https://www.gunworks.co.nz/shop/item...udcase-trimmer
    @Mooseman looked up those too form dies too. RCBS aren't the only ones that do them? Seen some lee ones as well
    If I find the 303-25 goes ok ill have to do a bit of cutting after forming so might need one of them anyway

similar to the Lee but Lyman
    https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands...ng-system.html
    Last edited by csmiffy; 10-03-2019 at 08:35 PM.
    stagstalker likes this.

Yup that’s the one

Have only used RCBS in that type of trimmer and they work very . Great when you if you are like me and pick up any discarded brass I find.

Gone but not forgotten
    I have a Lyman Accutrimmer. It works well but takes a bit to get set to trim to the right length, and you still need to chamfer and deburr. I'm tempted to try the Lyman Quick Trim die and cutter setup.

I initially liked the idea of the lyman as it comes with a variety of bits/pilots already but as I forgot I've got a lee 270 shell holder and pilot with a previous bullet deal, probably should go with that. I will probably do 243 as well as 303 so have to get those but would have to buy a 303 one for the lyman so that adds up.
    Might have to look at a different system for the 303-25. Don't know if there is a readily available pilot and cutter for that, maybe a form/trim die like Mooseman suggested instead for that one

your 303/25 should be easy enough to sort out using the lee,either turn the insert/rod down or hopefully find somethine else very close in length to pinch rod off. the holder will be same for both the 303s.....just need two fatnessess of rod. you COULD get away with a .243??? maybe,just have to keep an eye on measurement...mayby 257 roberts???

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    your 303/25 should be easy enough to sort out using the lee,either turn the insert/rod down or hopefully find somethine else very close in length to pinch rod off. the holder will be same for both the 303s.....just need two fatnessess of rod. you COULD get away with a .243??? maybe,just have to keep an eye on measurement...mayby 257 roberts???
    @mickey Duck yeah not worried about the holder, just the pin. read online somewhere were a dude machined a 257 Roberts rod back to do just that.
    Not on a lathe anymore so I would have to rely on someone else to do that for me.

As you would expect, a wise mate told me to get a Wilson trimmer. It cuts cases to .001" every time and you can adjust it to the length you want.. You need a different body holder for each cartridge (about $20). I use an inside outside chamber tool to debur them. Not sure how you're supposed to get that the same every time. It's quite a bit of work so I only do it every third firing.

Wilson case trimmer is the best. Sometimes they are cheap on Trademe. Mostly they are not. But for accuracy they are the best.

Wilson-i'll keep an eye out even if its for a later upgrade

Any of you with a drill press considered using it for a case trimming setup (using the adjustable stop, etc)