Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: CCI Standard Velocity problems

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Some useless info. Someone may find it of interest.
    The batch of Pistol Match was a lemon. Disappointing as I purchased a reasonable quantity.
    Testing is quite old now and predates any Covid quality issues.
    Tested a lot of other ammo but haven't extracted data from chronograph.
    Results may be corrupted slightly by me not cleaning between brands. Or firing any conditioning shots.

Not useless at all @zimmer, gave me something to go on.

I have been having ongoing problems with the subsonic crack, and a high POI.

Just put 20 CCI Standard Velocity through the chrono. Velocity on the box: 1070fps.

You can see the one's that crack. This sample is running 30fps faster than the last sample, but the ES and SD have tightened massively. Pretty sure this will be the barrel setting down after cleaning (?). I didn't get any of the low velocity shots this time round.

Going to have to do some more accuracy testing as the magpies must think I'm shooting blindfolded at the moment.
    zimmer and Micky Duck like this.
    Just...say...the...word

A little off topic but I had a similar incident with Whisper (from memory, will have to confirm)subsonic hollow point many years ago but the rims split and there was a loud crack.
    Blew the extractor claw of the bolt of my Sako 22 (and filled the right side of my face and eye with shrapnel).

Blew the bolt back on my Gevarm semi with some force and sprayed out brass and unburned powder several times.

Did the same sort of thing in a friends 22.

So they do make errors in the ammunition production.

(There’s more but suffice it to say I didn’t get much compensation from Winchester.)
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Its worth noting that the guys at Snipers Hide and Rimfire Central (mostly the same bunch of blokes, just two different pubs, only time ya can be in two places at once) reckon that there is not much effect on accuracy with 22 projectiles being "trans-sonic". It is annoying if you are trying to be circumspect for hunting or not annoying the neighbors though!

Believe it or not… CCI have agreed to refund my rubbish Standard Velocity bricks.

How they intend doing this, I do not yet know.

I had ridiculous performance a couple of nights ago - crazy loud cracks echoing off the hills and POI so high and left I ended up yelling at nothing in particular and giving up as the magpies circled, laughing. Then I pulled myself together and shot some groups on target paper over the chrono and sent it off to CCI.

I don’t suppose it has anything to do with me mentioning YouTube and Rimfire Central?
    zimmer and Micky Duck like this.
    Just...say...the...word

Have you cleaned your suppressor recently?

I've used 1000's of CCI Std velocity (it's all I shoot) and commonly run in to this issue.
    My 16" T1x with an ASE suppressor will shoot really well for weeks/months, then will start throwing shots high and start having bullets break the sound barrier.
    Usually happen after 1000ish rounds.

If I clean the suppressor it usually makes the problem go away or if not clean my barrel too.
    The suppressor gets some serious lead deposits near the rifle muzzle which I can only assume are increasing the pressure and causing the ammo to speed up.
    The barrel can get pretty filthy too but I think it'd mostly the suppressor.

I never had this issue on my 22" CZ so I wonder if it is related to the shorter barrel causing more fouling/lead deposits?
    I really don't have a clue but know that cleaning the suppressor usually does the trick, the suppressor gets seriously filthy after 500-1000 rounds so I usually aim to clean it after a brick of ammo.
    Bagheera, Micky Duck and Flyblown like this.

@Beetroot

Very good advice and much appreciated.

Yes I did give it as good a clean as I can, but it a Gunworks rimfire suppressor which is a sealed unit. I can't get into it as it appears the end caps are glued on. I called Amanda and she talked to the gunsmith and he said "it doesn't need cleaning". I respectfully ignored that and routinely run a .44 cal bronze brush through it, which is all I can do really.

I did get some serious crud out of it, including a ring of solid carbon that had obviously built up around the first baffle's hole.

But it didn't really seem to work. The terrible run of shots from 3 nights ago were shockers. The flipside is that I just got in now, having shot five magpies in five shots between 70-90m, not a single crack, all bang on. That's the way this batch runs, it will be fine then suddenly... not fine. Drives me mad.

What can I soak the suppressor in to try and clean it better?

(I'll also add that the very first shot out of this batch of 1,000 went supersonic. Followed by every third or fourth shot thereafter. The day I opened the box. Felt unlikely to be a coincidence.)
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Just...say...the...word

kero/WD40
    crc5.56
    2stroke petrol.....smells a bit afterwards but does wonders for reloading dies
    boiling water maybe???

@Flyblown

Have you an ultrasonic tank?

Er, no. Don't even know what one of those is. Am about to consult google.
    Just...say...the...word

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    kero/WD40
    crc5.56
    2stroke petrol.....smells a bit afterwards but does wonders for reloading dies
    boiling water maybe???
    A lot of competitive pistol shooters use 2-stroke. Strip the gun and put the parts is a mini paint roller tray. Strips carbon build up, and leaves thin coating of oil behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck likes this.

Cool.. the suppressor is now soaking overnight.

I had a look inside with a bore scope - nothing obvious that would increase pressure. So we'll see.
    Just...say...the...word

MSL
    I reckon you just got a crap batch of ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another good cleaner for them is plain old CLR, just soak for several hours. Funny the dirty suppressor got bought up, it just caught me out a beauty too, mine (a DPT) was completely blocked, and my previously good shooter had gone bad. Funny things I tried everything else (spending a couple of packets of my best ammo in the process - oh dear!)

I’ve got 3 or 4 high grade .22LRs here. No mufflers on them. I’ve shot a lot of different match and subsonic ammo through them. I’d never rate CCI std velocity as match grade and your groups are what I’d expect.

Zimmer likewise your experience with SK pistol is same as mine.

Better cheaper ammo for me is SK Standard plus, RWS Rifle Match, Norma No2, and Eley Club.

Winnie subs (40gn) shoot ok if you want a hp.

I don’t shoot a lot of high grade ammo but red box Eley tenex is outstanding for me.

If cleaning your muffler doesn’t produce the desired outcomes, I’d grab a few boxes or bricks of new ammo and see if this improves things.
    zimmer likes this.

the recipe has decently changed the new package
    Name:  cci.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  66.3 KB
    is no where near what it used to be ie
    Name:  cci2.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  70.3 KB
    could almost pass that stuff off as match ammo in most rifles

the new stuff is very rifle dependent some love it some hate it unlike the old recipe which was a very much a guaranteed shooter in any rifle

im not happy with the new cci
    so I've switched to eley they have 3 or 4 affordable options
    at around the same cost per brick as cci
    as well as some much higher end options I like having a few options of really high end ammo lying around to see what the rifles can do but mainly use the contact or action for practice as much cheaper than match and tenex