Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Chronograph thoughts

Greetings All,
    I have seen some odd readings, usually high, from chronographs in bright light conditions. Those with the shorter screen spacings are much harder to line up. I use a 4 foot screen spacing with the middle screen 3 metres from the muzzle and as long as I adjust position for the light conditions I get consistant results. I also find canting the screens toward the light and keeping the scteens out of direct sunlight helps.
    Regards Grandpamac.

Gone but not forgotten
    The instructions that came with mine said cloudy days are best, and the diffusers are used for sunny days.

Magnetospeed or Labradar. Optical chronos just aren't trustworthy in my experience

I have a photocell type and ow a labradar that two of us shared cost on.
    A method I came up with to get more consistent light onto my chrony was to take a beach umbrella and position it to shade the chrony. This eliminated the need for the wires and diffusers no matter the light variables and direction. Simple fix that works. Always placed the chrony a consistent4 1/2 m forward of muzzle too.
    Moa Hunter and ElDax like this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

I got the cardwell version with the led light rails. Find them hit and miss in overcast conditions as well. Yet to try with the leds running. Your local an no doubt using the nzda range. You can help your self to mine for a go to compare if ya want.
    Cursed be the ground for our sake. Both thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for us. For out of the ground we were taken, for the dust we are... and to the dust we shall return.

Ok so just thought I would post an update today, had almost ideal conditions at the range except some very light rain. Set up the chronograph with all the advice given in mind and took my rangefinder to take note of the target distance in relation to drop.

Chronograph measured average 2556fps and using the Berger ballistic calculator messing around with the numbers to get the drop I measured it came out with 2590fps which seems close enough to the chronograph speed that I feel I'm on the right track.
    Wondering if it's worth the hassle trying to get into Seddon range to verify data further at this point but yeah just wanted to say thanks for all the info everyone contributed, it has really helped
    308 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    I got the cardwell version with the led light rails. Find them hit and miss in overcast conditions as well. Yet to try with the leds running. Your local an no doubt using the nzda range. You can help your self to mine for a go to compare if ya want.
    Thanks for the offer but I think it was mainly user error in this case haha