Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Copper bullets

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    6.5's have good SD aye?
    It totally depends on the projectile.

High SD just means the projectile is heavy for calibre. 140gr 6.5mm has a good SD, so does 80gr .224", 115gr 6mm, 150gr .277", 180gr 7mm, 230gr .300", 300gr .338" etc.

85gr 6.5mm has a terrible SD

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    It totally depends on the projectile.

High SD just means the projectile is heavy for calibre. 140gr 6.5mm has a good SD, so does 80gr .224", 115gr 6mm, 150gr .277", 180gr 7mm, 230gr .300", 300gr .338" etc.

85gr 6.5mm has a terrible SD
    How do you work it out, weight and something to do with the width. I'll gogole it its been ages since I read about it

Here.

Sectional density (SD) is the numerical result of a calculation that compares a bullet's weight to its diameter. To calculate a bullet's sectional density divide the bullet's weight (in pounds) by its diameter (in inches), squared. The higher the SD number the better the SD and the heavier a bullet is in proportion to its diameter.
    Last edited by Toby; 12-04-2013 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Edit: adding info
    VIVA LA HOWA

You need a population of numbers to compare your calculated SD to, and determine if it's relatively high or not. Or just think "well this 80gr .243 bullet isn't anywhere near the heaviest available, which are 115-117gr, so the SD probably stinks"

Is there any guide to the best sd's for each caliber?
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Is there any guide to the best sd's for each caliber?
    Yes. The heaviest bullets in each calibre. Look at the bottom of the page in a reloading manual or something.

I just asked a dumb question now that I look back and read. sorry
    GravelBen likes this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

The heavyest pills in your cal do not have the best sd , they have the highest.

How you want a bullet to perform is as personal as the ideal shape for a chicks Arse.

One mans pencil threw is another mans blow up etc.

The coppers not fragmenting means you really need to boot em up the Arse as hard as possible and get the highest impact velocitys you can to transfer shock.
    They are not a long range pill, they just don't/can't dump enough energy in the animal.

However light for cal driven fast they work really well at modest ranges.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    sneeze, Wirehunt and CreepingDeath like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Impure Lead Flinger
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    The heavyest pills in your cal do not have the best sd , they have the highest.

How you want a bullet to perform is as personal as the ideal shape for a chicks Arse.

One mans pencil threw is another mans blow up etc.

The coppers not fragmenting means you really need to boot em up the Arse as hard as possible and get the highest impact velocitys you can to transfer shock.
    They are not a long range pill, they just don't/can't dump enough energy in the animal.

However light for cal driven fast they work really well at modest ranges.

Then why do i have videos of you giving animals to shots to finish the deed???

Because i do it from habit bob.
    I have been poked with antlers by "dead" stags before. Also been cut as i gutted a "dead" hind.

The fist sized hole in the brisket internal damage and still exiting a hind quarter is what i cal working well up close driven hard.

Like i said to Abe last night, they certainly have there limitations/odditys but i have never had anything walk from the 130 Barnes.

In a smaller cal there is probably better options in a bonded bullet.

A fully expanded 30 cal at over 3100 will transfer significant shock due to its frontal area.
    The smaller the cal the less frontal area to transfer shock and some fragmentation is probably preferable to dump some energy in the animal instead of the bank behind.

I would run a bonded bullet but don't believe the 308 could push them fast enough to be truly effective.
    I do want to try the new nosler tho sounds promising.

Pigs can be rediciously toigh critters. Had one make it 30 odd meters with half its head missing and another we tracked for 400 meters and when we gutted it its heart was pulp then ive seen them bang flop to a 223 aswell. It all is what it is . I like new things like copper bullets for lighter cals but the reality is when i started huntjng it was an 8mm mauser and highland ammo it all works you just have to do your part

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I got a 6.5 on layby so once I get sorted I will be getting more reloading gear and going for a hornady 120gr GMX pill (BC.450 SD.246) used 150gr GMX's before out of my old mossberg .308 and they were devastating on the two pigs that wore em at 200 meters but then they were under a fairly stout load of W748 too
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Note that all copper mono bullets are not created equal. There are some designs that will open to double calibre at impact speeds as low as 1600fps. If a copper mono bullet is described as a long range hunting bullet, it would be designed with easy expansion in mind.
    takbok likes this.
    A cartridge consists of a case with powder inside, a primer in the base and a bullet fitted to the front.

Ejected
    What calibre are you using Toby?

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    Note that all copper mono bullets are not created equal. There are some designs that will open to double calibre at impact speeds as low as 1600fps. If a copper mono bullet is described as a long range hunting bullet, it would be designed with easy expansion in mind.
    This is true and the ones i use expand well even at lowish velocitys. But to transfer significant shock you want them going as fast as possible to transfer shock to the vitals or your just cutting a hole.

Or like me you can use pre-expanded bullets at modest velocity.
    kiwijames and Spudattack like this.
    Velocity is thrilling,but diameter does the real killing.