Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By sneeze
  • 3 Post By DPT

Thread: Difference of muzzle pressure between 30-06 and 7mm rem mag

Difference of muzzle pressure between 30-06 and 7mm rem mag

I'm interested in seeing if anyone has any detail for the difference of pressure at the muzzle between a 30-06 and a 7mmRM.

In almost all suppressor manufacturers they state that the non magnum will be fine up to 30-06.

Am I wrong I'm thinking that there wouldn't be much difference between the muzzle pressure of the two calibers?

Cheers

Different loads and barrel lengths with have a significant part to play. I can run the numbers through QL if you have some examples?
    7mmsaum likes this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Just have a Tiki Tour around in Hodgdon's Reloading data and you should be able to get typical pressures.
    Take Aim at Rifle Reloading Data | Hodgdon Reloading

It may not be pressure, as sum smaller calibers, run at high pressure, ir .260, .243, .280 all at 60000 psi. , but more the volume/capacity, and amount of heat from slow burning magnum powders,
    I aren't sure, but do know that slow burning shotgun powders, Ie steel, blue dot, my reloaded shells are hard, and brittle and splitting after 2-3 reloads, but using a different powder ie 800x and uniquie, for target loads I can get 6-8 loads.
    Might be more to it than just pressure,

3006 50000 pressure CUP.
    7mm rem mag 52000 CUP. taken from speer reloading manual.
    manual has psi for sum and CUP for others.

All other things being equal (and they never are) a larger case will have more muzzle pressure.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I guess the pressure, the velocity and volume of the gases and the quantity of powder burned all have to play a role?

Thanks for the answers, that's what I'm getting at, say same barrel length 22inch, same powder charge as you can load them both with the same powder weight. Then what's left?
    I get that suppressor makers need to draw a line somewhere for safety, but the yes to 30-06 and no to 7rm doesn't make sense, (to me yet)

It would be bloody good to use a little can on the long ranger.

Just using some standard loads in QL with both at 60k psi chamber pressure the 7mm RM psi is around 40% higher at the muzzle than the 3006. More heat and volume as well. @DPT might chime in hopefully
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

A mate was here shooting a 375 h+h mag with a tiny end of barrel can that worked realy well so you can get them.
    I think it came from Norway.

Peak pressure in cup is not a measure of muzzle pressure, peak pressure is reached not long after the bullet starts moving and starts to drop after that.According to some old literatue I have the muzzle pressure for the 7mm rem magnum is around 17000 psi in a 28 inch barrel which appears to be a little higher than most others which run 10_15000 psi.
    I don't think it's the pressure but the volume of gas involved that's the issue with supressors as shortening a barrel raises pressure but not volume so a std suppressor should work ok on the 7 rem if the load of powder is within the 3006 load range and the rate of fire is slow.

DPT
    The 7mm mag starts off with a bigger load, has less barrel volume to disperse the gasses so has higher gas pressure and gas volume at the muzzle. The pressure the suppressor sees is related to the volume of gasses coming out of the muzzle and the restriction that suppressor puts on those gasses.

Please done go and put a non magnum suppressor or a magnum rifle. If you do so you are asking for trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Freezer View Post
    Thanks for the answers, that's what I'm getting at, say same barrel length 22inch, same powder charge as you can load them both with the same powder weight. Then what's left?
    I get that suppressor makers need to draw a line somewhere for safety, but the yes to 30-06 and no to 7rm doesn't make sense, (to me yet)

It would be bloody good to use a little can on the long ranger.
    if you reckon they are using the same powder and charge...sell the RM and buy a .30/06 its cheaper to run by a country mile!!!!!!
    stick a hot load into both and it will be different story, that big belted case has bigger engine to feed, you COULD put the exhaust off you VW Beetle onto a Kenworth truck...but it probably wouldn't last very long......