Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 260 rem barrel twist and issues shooting 130gr pills

GWH

260 rem barrel twist and issues shooting 130gr pills

Hey guys,

Ive been wanting to extend the range of the little mod 7 in 260 rem. I have tried 130gr Berger VLD's and just cannot get them to shoot, tried several powders and several different seating depths incl touching the lands - Just wont shoot.

I had heard that the VLD's can be fussy so thought id give the 129gr SST's a go as i have found they generally shoot fairly well in other rifles ive used them in.

Well, same deal, a couple of powders, and the grouping looked pretty good (if it was a shot gun).

My rifle shoots the 120gr Sierra Prohunter very well, and just to confirm it still did, i shot 3 rounds of 120gr prohunters straight after the 129 SST's, and sure enough, tight little group like normal.

Ive come to the conclusion that the twist rate of my Rem Model 7 barrel (1:9 i think) just doesnt like pills around 130gr.

Anyone else found this?

Looks like the Sako's use 1:8

I just may have to stick with a 120 NBT doing 3k and call it done!

Caretaker
    The 120 nbt is a tough lil performer
    Nesika likes this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Berger recommend a 1:8 twist for the 130 VLD, so you are probably right. Did you try jamming the VLD? I use to jam the 168VLD 10thou into the lands in my 7mm mag. I never had an issue with a projectile sticking.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    The 120 nbt is a tough lil performer
    Yeah i think i'll just stick with that and be done with it, if i'm heading somewhere that's likely mostly longer range i'll take the 284 or the 7SAUM.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    Berger recommend a 1:8 twist for the 130 VLD, so you are probably right. Did you try jamming the VLD? I use to jam the 168VLD 10thou into the lands in my 7mm mag. I never had an issue with a projectile sticking.
    I think i tried them just 5 thou into the lands, didn't want to get too carried away jamming them. I tried them at 3 quite different OAL's and none of them showed promise. Most rifles ive loaded for, its not hard to get something shooting well pretty quickly, but this 260 just doesn't seem to like the 130gr range.

I like the look of the ballistics on the 130 VLD, and due to the rifle being small, reasonably light and very handy i was trying to turn it into a wonder 'do it all' gun.

Shoot this barrel out and then re-barrel with a 1:8
    Breyt likes this.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    Shoot this barrel out and then re-barrel with a 1:8
    The way ive been going with trying different pills and powders of late, this wont take long ;-)
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

123 amax?

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    123 amax?
    Have you tried these on game as it won't be long I hope till I get my .260 back and will be doing the same testing like the 130 weight but have been looking at the 123 A max.

R93
    If you are not intending to shoot past 500 there are plenty of good flat base projectiles that should shoot well.
    I shoot 129 gr hornady accurate enough to 600. For steel and targets the 130 scirocco goes well for my results but not my pocket.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

what twist rate has more to do with bullet length than weight a long bullet like a vld will generally need a faster twist than a short stubby low bc bullet of the same weight to stabilize
    I have seen a 260 with a 1-9 twist run 130 vlds though with same hole accuracy was a match grade barrel though but at the end if the day your rifle might not like them period
    maybe the 123gn Amax could be a good one to try

ive got a 1-8.5 twist barrel but ive only stot 6 rounds down the thing in the 6 months ive had it lol

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    123 amax?
    That was one of the original bullets I used, but discovered a problem with variation in base to ogive length as mentioned here. This was bullets from the one box too! Lost confidence and interest in them after that.

It seems when you google it, that im not the only one to notice the problem either, heres another example

Hand loading ammo is about getting everything as consistent as possible, so to use a bullet that is so inconsistent is just mental!

sneakywaza I got
    Worked up loads for a .260 Model7 earlier this year, got a dynamite load going with 2209 and 130 Sierra Hp Gameking doing 2900, bc not great but those Gameking Hp's are tough bullets in all the calibres.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    Worked up loads for a .260 Model7 earlier this year, got a dynamite load going with 2209 and 130 Sierra Hp Gameking doing 2900, bc not great but those Gameking Hp's are tough bullets in all the calibres.
    That's good velocity from a 130 in a mod 7 20" barrel I assume. Are you willing to share details of the load? PM if you prefer.

I got the 130 gr vld stabilising in 1 in 8.5 twist out a long 6.5 creedmoor tube and shooting the best.
    the 140 a-max were not shooting as well.
    With 20" barrel I would stick to the lighted pills .