Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Digital Scales - What's a good higher end option?

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Nolan View Post
    ANNNNNNDD... there it is.

Electronic scales all rely on stable, consistent and smooth electricity supply. Also no interference from nearby fluorescent tubes, transformers etc.

I can guarantee lab quality gravity in my reloading room. Lab quality electricity, not so much. Still using old school balance beam scales.
    Never had any of the issues you describe with my AnD Fx-300i. And I live at the end of a pretty ropey rural supply with all sorts of shit going on.

Only concession to any hash that I considered was to have the balance on an ant-static mat. Never got around to it and won't bother now.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-Ring View Post
    The A&D FX-300i and FX-500i have exactly the same accuracy as the FX-120i just cost more and have the capacity to weigh more.

The Sartorius lab scales are even more precise than the A&D scales, cost a lot more and their 1/100th of a grain accuracy isn't necessary.
    There's virtually no difference between comparable models of Sartorius and AnD balances. The Sartorius are mostly made in Germany whilst the AnD are made in Korea. The similar Sartorius to the AnD Fx series has glass side shield whilst the AnD has plastic. Game changer?? The AnD has a vastly better display which is easier to see in daylight conditions.

My preference is AnD as there is excellent backup thru AnD Oz.
    I had an issue linking my Fx-300i into my computer and Excel spreadsheets. Sent an email to AnD Oz asking for advise and they replied requesting my phone number. Next thing a guy rings me and talks me thru the process. Most impressed. Conversation ended with guy stating if I ever have any problems be they warranty or otherwise just contact him direct.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Zimmer, from what I remember, without having to look it up, the equivalent Sartorius models measure to 1/100th of a grain whereas the AnD measure to 1/50th of a grain. Not an issue for reloading although some 1,000 yard U.S. shooters would argue otherwise. I'm very pleased with my AnD Fx-300i even though I can't honestly claim it has improved the accuracy of my reloads up to 300m (which is as far as I normally shoot) over my old RCBS 10-10 scales.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-Ring View Post
    Zimmer, from what I remember, without having to look it up, the equivalent Sartorius models measure to 1/100th of a grain whereas the AnD measure to 1/50th of a grain. Not an issue for reloading although some 1,000 yard U.S. shooters would argue otherwise. I'm very pleased with my AnD Fx-300i even though I can't honestly claim it has improved the accuracy of my reloads up to 300m (which is as far as I normally shoot) over my old RCBS 10-10 scales.
    Ha ha, my old Ohaus D5 still sits in the back of my cupboard. Have yet to change its batteries in a 50 yr term of ownership.

Ditto with the accuracy experience. I could achieve similar with the old D5 beam balance. I just like using the AnD better and I'm at a stage in life (life's too short aye) where I can afford toys that others regard as superfluous.

Was watching Gavin Toobe on Youtube last night reviewing the AnD EJ-54D2 with a 0.003 grain rating. He mentioned them being suitable for weighing primers. I stopped viewing soon after that...

I actually use a Chargemaster to dispense a charge just short of required then finish it off on the Fx-300 using a Little Dandy trickler.
    Whilst I shot Fullbore, which I was half reasonable at, I used the Chargemaster for all my powder dispensing. My loads where very accurate and velocities consistant. It's only after I added the Fx-300 in that I found how inconsistant the CH was. Did that affect my loads, obviously not greatly or at the time not enough for my perception.

Nowadays I'm seeing much improved on paper and velocity consistancy performance. ESs are single figures. Runout 0 or close to it. I put this down to a combination of things though, my AnD, plus a total change to my reloading techniques. I now anneal after every firing, FLS after every firing. I no longer use bushing dies but FLS without expander and then expand using a 21st Century or Porter expanding dies.

Apologies to the OP for going off topic but you can probable glean from some replies the answer to your original question.
    Whether or not the upper end quality in balances is required I won't get into. (Much like the neck sizing full length sizing argument.)
    ebf likes this.

From memory, the Entris series by Sartorius were more equivalent to the AnDs. As has been said, there is no point going one decimal place past what the AnD can deliver.

I have had issues with fluro lights with my AnD, swapped to for a led light and problem solved- the fluro tube was closer than I would imagine being normal so I can see how its a uncommon issue. @zimmer no way I'm going to even think about weighing primers either!
    the fool known as res got locked out of his account so made this one