Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jhon

Thread: Does anyone provide a neckturning service?

LJP

Does anyone provide a neckturning service?

Hi Team,
    I’ve got a tight necked (.250”) 222 Remington that requires me to neckturn some brass before I can shoot this rifle. I’ve starting looking at tools for neckturning but not sure if I have the time or even the patience for this. Does anyone provide a neckturning service?

For me ,it is the most painful task when preparing brass. I am not sure I would even to do that for money.
    Best thing might be to find a good bugger on the forum who has the tooling ,who lives nearby where you are and can show you the ropes.

A good bikini bottom usually does the job...
    andyanimal31 likes this.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Quote Originally Posted by Jhon View Post
    A good bikini bottom usually does the job...
    the string type or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by LJP View Post
    Hi Team,
    I’ve got a tight necked (.250”) 222 Remington that requires me to neckturn some brass before I can shoot this rifle. I’ve starting looking at tools for neckturning but not sure if I have the time or even the patience for this. Does anyone provide a neckturning service?
    I have a Hornady neck turner coming soon so may be able to help if the 22 cal collet comes with it.
    Phil.

If your chamber has a 0.250" neck, you should be able to use PMC brass, unturned (always a good idea to measure the chamber neck with cerosafe). I usually neck turn 222Rem brass for my rifle but I don't bother with PMC because it has the thinnest neck brass of the common brands (Rem, Win, Sako, Lapua, etc.). Also, PMC brass has the most consistent neck thickness of any 222Rem brass that I have measured (Rem, win, Sako, Lap, Fed, etc.) and won't really benefit from neck turning. I have just measured up some PMC brass, using a tubing micrometer, and the thickness varies between 10 to 11 thou. The bullet for a 222Rem is 0.224" in diameter. The resulting cartridge neck will be around 0.245" (bullet loaded into the case) which leaves around 0.005" clearance which is plenty. If you have a micrometer, measure up some PMC cartridges in your favourite shop and check that these PMC measurements are still current.