Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Does this powder have other names?

Does this powder have other names?

We acquired some powders from a relative and I’m just sussing out 1 container which I can’t find online. Pretty sure I’ve managed to add a photo. It’s just got a sticker on front stating highland 180 gr 303 powder. On the back is a legitimate looking adi sticker. Yes it was acquired along with a 303, so could well use it for reloading but I want to know more about it first
    Attached Images Attached Images  

that appears to be your relatives load recipe,for that powder...no idea what it is and guessing can be distasterous.
    mikee, 7mm Rem Mag, 40mm and 1 others like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Auckland, until I can escape south....to Southland.
    Whats the ADI sticker ?
    Micky Duck likes this.
    He nui to ngaromanga, he iti to putanga.

You depart with mighty boasts, but you come back having done little.
    Sounds like a typical hunting trip !

If you decide to chance it.... tie the rifle to a tree and shoot it through a chronny with a string on the trigger.
    Not sure if this is a solid test, but surely if no pressure signs, and the velocity was fine for the combo, then it should be a good test?
    Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Or donate the powder to my big jug of random/mixed powder if you have any doubts.
    Joe_90 likes this.
    Use enough gun

Here she be. Perhaps you can see something that I can't? I'll go source some more info from the relative but thought I may as well see what kind of response I get from this group! Though I do like the idea of someone having a tub of random powders mixed together...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gone but not forgotten
    Email ADI with the lot number (MEM4411) and they can probably tell you what powder it is.
    The stickers the front is a load recipe (303 using Higkland 180gr projectiles) and nothing about what powder it is.

There is also the possibility that the powder is not in its original bottle….so a bit risky to use it anyway

Caretaker
    Sprinkle it on your lawn as fertiliser

Guessing grades of High energy propellants is incredibly dangerous.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

At least the serial number will date the container so you will know its age. Are the contents true to the label.... who knows.
    I am guilty of putting powder into other containers and removing the original label.
    You could always sell it on trademe as 2208 for $200.

Ok thank you all.

Greetings All,
    To me the fact that the label has been peeled of by someone is a big jangly warning sign. If the cannister has been opened then it contains powderous anonamous and should be disposed of. Those plastic canisters have only been used by ADI for about 20 years which tells us how old the bottle is but nothing about the powder it contains. I recently broke down some handloads in new PPU cases which I don't think have been available in NZ that long. I am reasonably sure that the powder was AR2201 which would have been 40 or more years old and had degraded. Spread it on your lawn or better still your vegetable garden. The latter will at least give you some return.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    57jl and CBH Australia like this.

From the load weight, it's most likely to be ar2208 but thats an assumption not backed by any other evidence. The batch number may give some correlating info but still assumes the contents match.
    If the guy didn't have any other powders or reload for anything else it's a reasonable bet it is OK to use as long as it smells ok and there are no brown fumes or acidic odour.
    They still make 2208 so it's no great loss if you do choose not to use it.

I am struggling a to grasp the total lack of empathy for this powder.
    You guys are suggesting sprinkling it on the lawn for fertiliser? WTF.

At least light the dam stuff and let out a few OH'S and ARRRR'S

But preferably, get the stuff to me and I will give it a loving, caring home.
    Bagheera, Joe_90 and XR500 like this.
    Use enough gun

40mm having been given power and TOLD what it was...loaded mild load with it and the n BLEW UP RIFLE luckily without loosing eyesight due to wearing glasses..... I cannot stress enough how traumatic of experience it is....
    IF ADI come back with info from the batch number saying pottle is say 2208 or 2206 AND the corosponding load label matches that powder for load...eg 41.5grns 2206 under 180grn projectile in 303 brit.....AND Grandad etc who the powder came from still has/had his marbles in a row when last used reloading stuff...I would almost be tempted to use it....the SMLE is a very forgiving action that stood up to some horrid abuse..... but if I had any other options,that would be used first...the other way you COULD go is to get a hold of the same powder,only need tiny amount and do as many cross checks as you can...colour,stick length stick fatness .
    if still in doubt,fertilize the lawn...my back lawn has a couple of grands worth of powder sprinkled in it.......once bitten and all that.
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by 40mm View Post
    I am struggling a to grasp the total lack of empathy for this powder.
    You guys are suggesting sprinkling it on the lawn for fertiliser? WTF.

At least light the dam stuff and let out a few OH'S and ARRRR'S

But preferably, get the stuff to me and I will give it a loving, caring home.
    Poured into a deep hole in the garden and lit at night you have a wonderful fireworks display.
    Micky Duck and 40mm like this.

Gone but not forgotten
    2206 and 2208 are visibly quite different powders. I don't know about 2206h though, might be different from the original 2206 (with no "h").