Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Does this powder have other names?

I will double down on what others have said, that it’s not likely to be the original container. What reason would the owner peel off the front label if the powder is still in it’s original container? I think the batch number on the back may lead you astray.
    Go back to it’s original owner and press for better information.. if they can’t confirm without a doubt what it is, save it for guy fawkes and burn something, or go with the tying a rifle to a tree option. Also video it please, I’d like to see that experiment!
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Sprinkle it on your lawn as fertiliser

Guessing grades of High energy propellants is incredibly dangerous.
    ++------

If I pull rounds or have a little powder left in a container I throw it around the lemon tree .
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    40mm having been given power and TOLD what it was...loaded mild load with it and the n BLEW UP RIFLE luckily without loosing eyesight due to wearing glasses..... I cannot stress enough how traumatic of experience it is....
    IF ADI come back with info from the batch number saying pottle is say 2208 or 2206 AND the corosponding load label matches that powder for load...eg 41.5grns 2206 under 180grn projectile in 303 brit.....AND Grandad etc who the powder came from still has/had his marbles in a row when last used reloading stuff...I would almost be tempted to use it....the SMLE is a very forgiving action that stood up to some horrid abuse..... but if I had any other options,that would be used first...the other way you COULD go is to get a hold of the same powder,only need tiny amount and do as many cross checks as you can...colour,stick length stick fatness .
    if still in doubt,fertilize the lawn...my back lawn has a couple of grands worth of powder sprinkled in it.......once bitten and all that.
    Yeah, I am not saying shoot it at all!
    But to waste it by pouring on the lawn is just a shame! I say light the stuff up and show the kids (more like show myself) a good time!

Or, If it were to be shot, it could be 'proven' with a few test shots from a static rifle, fired remotely.
    Well, in theory I reckon that would work, but would have to be desperate to try it.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Use enough gun

Name:  IMG_20220812_131524_1.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  1.69 MB
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Name:  IMG_20220812_131446_3.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  1.65 MB
    -BW-, Joe_90 and caberslash like this.

.270winchester cases arent meant to have a belt....... three shot group at hundred yards,then the badun impact above it.... that bolt and bit of paper sits infront of my reloading station along with my load data/pet loads
    ASSUME NOTHING.
    40mm likes this.

That’s a nice accidental wildcat. The .277 Belted Duck
    What did the receiver and barrel look like?

.270winchester cases arent meant to have a belt....... three shot group at hundred yards,then the badun impact above it.... that bolt and bit of paper sits infront of my reloading station along with my load data/pet loads
    ASSUME NOTHING.
    Assumption is the mother of all fuckups.
    Not sure who said that originally, but it is a good one.
    Use enough gun

Well said Micky

That's quite a phenomenal reminder MD. Yes BW you are correct. I have gotten more info off the older relative (retired old engineer - still very sharp, but eyes aren't good enough anymore). It's from S&B bullets which have been pulled. The container used was just a spare and had nothing to do with the powder contained within. The load written on front is what he developed for the one of the firearms that arrived. I'll do some more research before I try it!

Since I'm on the beginning end of reloading, I might write assume nothing on my bench now too...

Though I am surprised as to the number of replies this thread has gotten! I dare say Ill be using this website more from now onwards.

Thank you all.
    Frogfeatures, 57jl and 40mm like this.

Quote Originally Posted by -BW- View Post
    That’s a nice accidental wildcat. The .277 Belted Duck
    What did the receiver and barrel look like?
    ok...but had to whack bolt oopen with rubber mallet then back it out with steel rod down barrel hammered.... so yip toast. winchester make a good solid rifle.

Highland is a brand of ammo so could it be powder that's been reclaimed from pulled down ammunition?

Even if you can get the info on the batch number from ADI, I wouldn't trust that that's what the powder actually is.

Fertiliser.
    Bagheera likes this.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

The name of the powder is "Cheapskate's Demise"! You would be shocked at the number of wrecked rifles and damaged shooters I have seen over the years because they assumed it was the correct powder.
    Micky Duck, 40mm and caberslash like this.

Just dump it mate,its not worth the danger of dealing with the unknown.

A mates Dad passed away recently,he was an avid reloader and had quite a few part flasks of powder as well as quite a few flasks that had been relabled.My mate was taken aback when I politely turned his offer down to keep them all. He was going to sell the unopned tubs and wanted rid of the rest of it,in the end it all went up in smoke or onto the grass.

Its a bit like using someone elses fuel mix in your chainsaws,its all fine up untill its not and unlike a seized engine,you can't buy new eyes and fingers.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

A 500gm jug of powder is only about $85-100. Have a great big fire with it, will last all of about 20 seconds. Then go buy some powder that will suit what you want to load, ask on here for some decent info, and then go work up a load for your own purposes. And we will all rest easy that you're not lying on the mound with half a cheek or eye missing.
    Micky Duck likes this.