Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Effects of cartridge temp on velocity

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    Once its established you dont have to enter it again, it just works of the atmo.
    Excluding altitude,atmospheric change seems to cancel itself out in many situations as higher pressure usually comes with warmer temps leveling out air density change
    Frosty mornings being the exception to that.
    sneeze likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Frosty mornings being the exception to that.
    Yes thats why I said "many situations" not All.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    How about this, how does the air pressure effect the muzzle velocity? Does it have any effect. My first thought is that a lower air pressure (higher air temp) would give a higher muzzle velocity because there is less resistance in front of the projectile in the barrel. Or is it such a small factor the friction between projectile and barrel negate it?
    I read just yesterday on a US forum a guy tested this. His smith built his rifle and testfired it at sea level, the rifle and remainder of the box of ammo was then shipped it to him, he lives at 4000 feet and when he tested the left over ammo he got the same velocity as the smith.

Quote Originally Posted by wsm junkie View Post
    I read just yesterday on a US forum a guy tested this. His smith built his rifle and testfired it at sea level, the rifle and remainder of the box of ammo was then shipped it to him, he lives at 4000 feet and when he tested the left over ammo he got the same velocity as the smith.
    Altitude simply effects air density. So does temperature. Temperature normally decreases with altitude (the amount varies depending on humidity) so they were probably shooting in the same "thickness" of air.

R93
    Altitude simply effects air density. So does temperature. Temperature normally decreases with altitude (the amount varies depending on humidity) so they were probably shooting in the same "thickness" of air.
    Dont forget air pressure lapses with altitude as well at a given rate per 100ft.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Dont forget air pressure lapses with altitude as well at a given rate per 100ft.

Yeah. That's what I am thinking. As the altitude increases the pressure decreases (because of reducing air density) but the temperature also decreases (increasing air density) but not necessarily at the same rate.
    Please let a scientist clarify this before I talk myself into a hole.
    In the example given, air will cool between 1.5 and 3 degrees /1000' of altitude (depending on it's saturation level), so a rise of 4000" altitude will equate to a temperature drop of between 6 and 12 degrees Celsius.
    Last edited by Shearer; 17-08-2017 at 09:09 PM.

R93
    Yeah. That's what I am thinking. As the altitude increases the pressure decreases (because of reducing air density) but the temperature also decreases (increasing air density) but not necessarily at the same rate.
    In the example given, air will cool between 1.5 and 3 degrees /1000' of altitude, so a rise of 4000" altitude will equate to a temperature drop of between 6 and 12 degrees Celsius.
    Ha Ha you did alright. I passed my met exam that was full of all that stuff a while ago. I can't remember we the formula as I just went off QNH or dialed my know altitude on the altimeter

Shearer likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Being a sample size of one, shot on different days by different shooters with unknown chronys or method of measurement Id say its a conclusion of very limited value.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    Being a sample size of one, shot on different days by different shooters with unknown chronys or method of measurement Id say its a conclusion of very limited value.
    Yeah. Not a lot of detail.

In the example given, air will cool between 1.5 and 3 degrees /1000' of altitude, so a rise of 4000" altitude will equate to a temperature drop of between 6 and 12 degrees Celsius.
    The main thing, I think, is that the lower temperature reduces MV. This largely offsets the lower pressure/air density so the trajectory is much the same.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!