Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: ELD-M Getting Crushed when Seating

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    Ok well I went out to the range today. A bit of background, brand new out of the box R700 in 6.5CM, dropped in a KRG Bravo, no trigger work (heavy AF), didn't lap the lugs or anything yet, never even fired a shot. Bore sighted it at 300yds, fired off the first 12 rounds charged with 36.0gr 2208, shot a pretty decent group for zero load dev , better than factory ammo anyway.

Then 2nd string 36.5gr 2208 and shot a 60 with 5 X's

So the crushed jackets can stay as long as they like

Attachment 103185

TBH after shooting it I'm not even vaguely concerned. 0.84 MOA 10 shot group @ 300y from a brand new R700 is already better than I could've asked for.
    Hawkes Bay Rifle Club - http://www.sporty.co.nz/hbrc

I'd deffinately reset your die. Take the stem right out and put it off to the side. Set up where the body of the die is sitting first. I let mine sit snug / little bit loose. Then put your stem back in and start winding it it down, checking oal as you go. If you use a fancy guage to find 2 thou off the lands then use that but i just take my firing pin out and find the touch point and wind it off 2 thou. Trial and error method. But point is, you are over camming your reloads. Its catching on the shoulder and you are forcing the heads to crush. I personally wouldnt shoot a munted bullet either as its not worth your entire rig eh

Banned
    As above bro, you have a fundamental issue here....all good holding good groups out that far...I'm surprised.
    I wouldn't be happy to continue shooting those loads myself

Quote Originally Posted by Dead is better View Post
    I'd deffinately reset your die. Take the stem right out and put it off to the side. Set up where the body of the die is sitting first. I let mine sit snug / little bit loose. Then put your stem back in and start winding it it down, checking oal as you go. If you use a fancy guage to find 2 thou off the lands then use that but i just take my firing pin out and find the touch point and wind it off 2 thou. Trial and error method. But point is, you are over camming your reloads. Its catching on the shoulder and you are forcing the heads to crush. I personally wouldnt shoot a munted bullet either as its not worth your entire rig eh
    I don't follow, you did read that I use a chamber type seater die? Do you mean over cramming? The powder is not compressed and projectiles seated without too much pressure. I think its just that the there is nothing behind the jacket at the actual spot the standard stem make contact. We'll just have to wait and see if a VLD stem fixes it. The jackets weren't torn so I don't see the risk?
    Hawkes Bay Rifle Club - http://www.sporty.co.nz/hbrc