Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Electronic scales

L.T
    I have the chargemaster, cannot comment on accuracy compared with another scale. It is faster and way less finicky than using a balance beam though. Overcharges are an issue I have had with mine, what helped was a plastic straw in the dispenser and it made a huge difference reprogramming the dispensing speed. Powders like 2208,2209 etc overcharge much less than the larger kernels of RL-50. Still probably overcharges one in every ten charges on average but is only .1 out.

I'm using a Chargemaster. I bought it from the States when they first came on the market (110v). I've not had a problem with it but it struggles with ADI2218 big kernels. I do have some concern about the accuracy of the loads, especially for small cases like the Hornet and check that it is still accurate about every 10 loads on a Lyman beam scale and check the relative volume on a block of filled cases. I've had three electronic scales (out of four) that began to drift off zero, so I remain somewhat jaundiced about cheaper electronic scales (like the Chargemaster) in terms of long term life and accuracy. The Chargemaster remains for me a very handy gadget.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I have a Lyman gen 6 also, I seat projectile while it drops the next charge and even me wobbling the bench around with the press doesnt seem to phase it.
    It does like a decent warm up time tho but if warmed up throws .1 under or bang on 99% of the time.
    As to the actual accuracy of the scales I cant comment as I have nothing of known accuracy to check them against but a cursory check of a few loads on my beam scales when I first got it showed it to be pretty bloody consistent.
    Oh yes and mine has been thoroughly drowned from above when the wife and her friend decided they could replace the dishwasher themselves while I was at work, it still works perfectly after a few days in the hot water cupboard.
    I reccomend it and any other similar device, balance beams and triclers are a slow painfull way to load 50 or a hundred rounds and throwers are a pain in the arse to adjust if doing ladders or trying different powders.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Know this is an old thread and all, but for what it's worth I use a Lyman Gen 3 electronic dispenser. It's usually about .2 -.3 of a grain out by it's 'own' confession. I 'always' use it in conjunction with my RCBS 10:10 balance beam scales and deliberately set the Lyman light, as (for example) 59.7 grains of powder can easily be 59.9 (or sometimes more) on the balance beam and then I just top it off with a manual powder trickler. 'Generally' (due to the bigger cases I load for) by the time it's spat out another load into the tray, I've already trickled the required amount of powder into the pan on the beam scales, and have placed it into the cartridge case, so there's no time really lost, unless, as some have suggested, you help the electronic scales out by dumping a load into the pan to give it a head start, which I've never done!

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    I use a Lyman gen6. Had it for around 6 yrs. Had a pact system before that which was OK.

My K Hornet has an average ES of 17fps depending on the day and projectile.
    My 260 and 223 are around or under 12fps.

ES is not solely reliant on an accurate charge weight, but it is a good start.

I rarely shoot the 223 or K Hornet at ranges that I would even worry about a half grain fluctuation. But I never have that issue as it never throws a charge more than .1 out with any powders I have used.
    I get a bigger ES than that out of my .300 RUM using my beam scales, I meticulously weigh every charge!

Lyman gen6. So much faster than measuring on the scale.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

Quote Originally Posted by .300 RUM Guy View Post
    .. I 'always' use it in conjunction with my RCBS 10:10 balance beam scales and deliberately set the Lyman light, as (for example) 59.7 grains of powder can easily be 59.9 (or sometimes more) on the balance beam and then I just top it off with a manual powder trickler. ...
    I've read of this technique on various occasions and it amuses me. Why not just throw a slightly light charge from a basic thrower and trickle to finish? Faster than waiting for an inaccurate electronic thrower to do a no-better job.
    johnd and Woody like this.

Gen 6 for me.
    It throws +/- 0.1 and seems to be repeatable.
    I seat while next rounds are metering. I just ensure that I have finished seating before the meter slows down to trickle.

The only powder I dont use in machine is superformance.

Quote Originally Posted by 284 Gypsy View Post
    Gen 6 for me.
    It throws +/- 0.1 and seems to be repeatable.
    I seat while next rounds are metering. I just ensure that I have finished seating before the meter slows down to trickle.

The only powder I dont use in machine is superformance.
    Why's that, doesn't it meter well?
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

I just found the ball powders didnt meter as consistently. It tended over throw. And at that point it wasnt any quicker as I was dumping half the throws.
    But that is just my experience with it.

I rate the Gen6. It makes doing 50 grounds a breeze.

2206h 2208 2209 2213 2217 N560 all meter well.

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    How many here use the likes of Chargemaster , the Lyman equivalent or etc for your reloading
    I'm still tapping out each charge from a teaspoon on to a small electronic scale then checking with the balance beam every 5 loads

With the amount of calibres I have now I'm thinking there has to be a better way

Do those that use these devices such as the Chargemaster find them accurate and reliable?
    Any problems I should look out for ? and of course finally, which one would you buy or recommend for someone to buy.
    Thanks.
    Having read your post again, here's my take on possible issues you might face with the Lyman Gen 6 if you go that way.

None of them are deal busters, all of them can be worked around.

I don't regret buying mine, and find that when used with my Redding T7 press, it makes reloading pretty quick.

I have been warned about using electronic sales under fluoro lights, so when I load in my garage (which has those lights), I turn them off and use desk lamps hung overhead. The reason for this is that there is a disruption factor to scales from this type of lights.

Similarly, I found that my Gen 6 would not settle down and register the test weight correctly when there was a makita 12v drill battery sitting near it.
    I took it away and the Gen 6 sorted itself out immediately. lesson: don't use them near other power sources if possible.

The other issues are from the handbook. Don't use them with a current of air blowing through the room. It tends to unsettle them.

Don't leave powder in them when not in use, especially if you're prone to using different powders. A mix of powders,= a possible Kaboom in a firearm.

Don't use a vaccuum to clean out the powder reservoir at the end of loading. Disassemble the reservoir as per the instructions. a bit fiddly, but easy enough once you get the hang of it.

Don't put it on the same bench as the press, as the vibration from the up/down stroke of the press will unsettle it.
    I got around this by sitting the Gen 6 on an old tv stand trolley so it's near to hand, but separate from the loading bench.
    Reading another poster here, it doesn't seem to make any difference to the end result that it's sitting on the same bench.

The only other thing with the Gen 6 is that it has no memory for storing load weights. No big deal. I record every load I make up in a book. One book for 7mm08, one for 223 and so on.
    Last edited by Max Headroom; 13-07-2018 at 02:09 PM.
    R93 likes this.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

Well I have a brand new, charge master sitting in the shed, bought in a few years back, thinking it would be the cats ass, damaged on arrival, so new one sent out, before this process was completed, I was loaned a Harrell's powder thrower, and the now. I have no desire. to even unwrap the charemaster,
    Much prefer the Harrell's or a Layman 55 powder thrower, and weigh loads till powder set up, the Harrell's can be redialed in to a click setting, that is 100% accurate,
    I also work in an industry, that has had a few million $$$$ fuckups, because a digital gauge wasn't confirmed, against an analog gauge, hence a bit distrustful of digital sales, as even the dogs farts, seam to make them drift,
    So if your not in a hurry, I can sell you a new charge master for 50%, (big bore, good bastard rate) the cost of a New one landed in NZ. its a 110 volt so will need a 240volt cable. Back in NZ likely Oct/Nov. for six weeks. PM if interested. I will newer use it.
    johnd and 10-Ring like this.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    I use a Harrell BR powder measure, a RCBS trickler and old Lyman scales. I set the powder measure to throw just under the desired weight and trickle up. Fast and accurate. Occasionally, I'll check the Lyman scales with some certified weights; it's always bang on though. I've been reloading since 1974 and have never seen the need to go electronic.
    johnd and Mooseman like this.

I did an experiment with a run of loads, ( about 50 ) just threw them from the powder thrower.

Out at 600 yds they all went 1/2 to 3/4 MOA. Some would have been effected by wind more than others.

If you want speed of throwing / dispensing powder it dont get much faster than a good quality manually activated powder thrower.
    10-Ring likes this.