Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree15Likes
  • 1 Post By Three O'Three
  • 4 Post By matto1234
  • 5 Post By Driverman
  • 3 Post By Marty Henry
  • 1 Post By Three O'Three
  • 1 Post By rossi.45

Thread: First casts

First casts

Hi all, thought I'd share some pics of my first ever casts and see what y'all think. I used a lee CTL312-160-2R mold with lead from diving weights and some fishing sinkers. Bullets came out at .311 and 165grn.
    Name:  DSCN0097[1].JPG
Views: 210
Size:  123.1 KB
    Name:  DSCN0099[1].JPG
Views: 195
Size:  119.3 KB
    These were some of the worst that I didn't put back in the pot, are they ok to load?
    Micky Duck likes this.

Anyone know and/or use any alternatives to traditional off the shelf bullet lube like Lee Alox?

Id just recast them next time, in my limited experience i think thats mainly from the mold being cold
    Grey Kiwi, outlander, rewa and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by matto1234 View Post
    Id just recast them next time, in my limited experience i think thats mainly from the mold being cold
    I was using a old cooking pot and a camp gas burner to melt the lead, At the time I cast these ones I had turned the heat down thinking I had it too high, I did turn heat back up.

horrible. reject all

Quote Originally Posted by Three O'Three View Post
    Anyone know and/or use any alternatives to traditional off the shelf bullet lube like Lee Alox?
    I have a full can of crc lanolin spray I was thinking might work?
    Last edited by Three O'Three; 23-04-2022 at 09:39 PM.

Powder coat

Your mold is too cold, your alloy is too cold. Your alloy needs some tin and your mold needs a real good clean with a toothbrush and acetone. Then when youve done this look a getting sharply defined fill out. I would then smoke the mold and cast several hundred to condition the mold. The mold will form an oxide that will allow good boolit drop and fillout . Your boolits being 165 grain show that they are more lead than the mold is designed for. This is not a problem if your intention is to shoot subsonic or sub 1400 fps .

Most likely your mold was either too cold or the lead was or both, they would be shootable but don't expect stellar results still not bad for a first attempt.
    Beeswax and lard is a traditional lube but candle wax with a bit of oil added so its a bit soft works fine. Stand the bullets in a tray and pour the melted lube in till it is just above the first grease groove let it cool and then cut the bullets out using a fired case with the base cut off and they are ready to load.
    Micky Duck, outlander and rewa like this.

I did prep the mold as per Lee's instructions. I made sure the mold was always up to temperature. I say I messed up when I turned the heat down when I thought I had the gas burner up higher than needed, that and a shaking hand when filling the mold with a homemade ladle which needs a bit of refining.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Most likely your mold was either too cold or the lead was or both, they would be shootable but don't expect stellar results still not bad for a first attempt.
    Beeswax and lard is a traditional lube but candle wax with a bit of oil added so its a bit soft works fine. Stand the bullets in a tray and pour the melted lube in till it is just above the first grease groove let it cool and then cut the bullets out using a fired case with the base cut off and they are ready to load.
    Thanks @Marty Henry. Ever heard of anyone using lanoline lude?
    rossi.45 likes this.

Thanks @Marty Henry. Ever heard of anyone using lanoline lude?
    try Castboolits website for all things castbullets . . they have a section just on lube recipes

a good ladle will improve your cast . . Lyman is excellant

good luck . . R
    Marty Henry likes this.
    without a picture . .. it never happened !

Hi all, thought I'd share some pics of my first ever casts and see what y'all think. I used a lee CTL312-160-2R mold with lead from diving weights and some fishing sinkers. Bullets came out at .311 and 165grn.
    Attachment 195373
    Attachment 195374
    These were some of the worst that I didn't put back in the pot, are they ok to load?
    Onya for posting/sharing...I've been reading, researching, collecting for casting for few years now. Hope to start this year after relocating. There's a wealth of info on the net including old manuals from the days where if you didn't cast you didn't shoot. And if you didn't shoot you went hungry. Hope you nail it!
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...