Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Pommy

Thread: First post

First post

Hi, first post after my intro..
    I’m looking for any help regarding a start load for my 300 Win Mag, (I’m new to reloading). - I have load data books ect but do I really need to start right at the bottom to work up?
    hopefully someone can get me started on a load close to what might work??

Rifle is rem700 300 win Mag, I have
    200gr ELD -X (preferred) or 180gr VLD Berger
    2225 powder
    Norma brass ect.
    Thanks

Gone but not forgotten
    Yeah, start at the bottom. Eld-x often seem to reach pressure at lower loads than other projectiles. Once you have developed a few loads you will know what sort of loads your rifle handles (below, at, or above published max loads).
    I would start at bottom and go up half or one grain at a time, if you get pressure signs stop, and pull the projectiles on the remaining higher loads.

Load a few rounds like 1gr apart from low to high so that you have at least done a precautionary check and established a known safe operating range to experiment in.

People ask for recipes all the time and it's kinda pointless (besides being risky) because what works for one rifle is probably not going to be what works well for another... especially when you have rifles with different barrel lengths, chambers, throats, different brass, batches of powder etc... they're all factors that combine to make a load work so when you try transfer that from one rifle to another with one or more of those things changed, you end up starting almost from scratch.
    Pete_D likes this.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.