Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: First Question From a Noob

First Question From a Noob

Sorry, been asked before I'm sure, but....
    Thinking of getting into this side of things. I open up the book and see shiney pics of everything you could want, but what is the beer basics that you wold need to make a empty turn into one that goes bang.
    Cheers

Manuka likes this.

R93
    Press, FL dies in caliber of preference, if press doesn't have one, a priming tool. Powder thrower (manual or electronic) scales to measure powder, trickler to come up to desired charge weight, some case preparation tools, neck chamfer/deburring, brushes to clean inside case necks, lube and finally the components to make things go bang.
    I would advise to get a reloading manual or surf the internet for data and tips.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Maca49 and Manuka like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

northdude
    bare basics that I started with were scales powder primers primer pocket cleaner and if you can get one for your caliber the classic lee loader I did a comparison with ammo loaded with one of these and my press set up I use now and there was no difference in the accuracy of the ammo loaded in either
    Manuka likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    bare basics that I started with were scales powder primers primer pocket cleaner and if you can get one for your caliber the classic lee loader I did a comparison with ammo loaded with one of these and my press set up I use now and there was no difference in the accuracy of the ammo loaded in either
    Duncan, I'm going to get you a keyboard with extra big punctuation keys for xmas. We're supposed to be helping the poor chap.

Mssr Manuka, it's all a lot to take in initially. It's also more than a list of bits and pieces. There will be someone near to you who will be able to take you through what needs to be done, on their gear, and advise you on what you need. As far as "bare bones" goes.. Well technically, a lee loader kit and a scale are all you need in terms of tools
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Banana View Post
    Ok, so then it's just add primer, powder, and lead to brass, after reading the bible as to get correct mixtures for what I'm after. I'm sure the book will say what powder will work best, or do they tout there own brand. I haven't looked to hard at it because it appeared to confuzing and factory is ok. Fast powders or slow or does it come down to what it's in. 270 and 223, possibly 243. Would one do all or not

northdude
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Duncan, I'm going to get you a keyboard with extra big punctuation keys for xmas.
    ill just lick them off like I did with these ones
    gadgetman and Tommy like this.

Duncan, I'm going to get you a keyboard with extra big punctuation keys for xmas. We're supposed to be helping the poor chap.

Mssr Manuka, it's all a lot to take in initially. It's also more than a list of bits and pieces. There will be someone near to you who will be able to take you through what needs to be done, on their gear, and advise you on what you need. As far as "bare bones" goes.. Well technically, a lee loader kit and a scale are all you need in terms of tools
    I'll try and buy a friend who reloads I think, for a start
    Cordite likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Manuka View Post
    I'll try and buy a friend who reloads I think, for a start
    They are usually cheaply bought with brown beer
    R93, Hunt4life and Marty Henry like this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

There's a reloading YouTube channel called reloading with highboy. Sounds gay I know but I found it to be very helpful. He has a load of instructional videos from powders to getting started into reloading what gear you'll need and how to set up almost any press on the market. They are pretty long but once you painfully watch them you will pretty much know exactly what to do from start to Finnish.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

They are usually cheaply bought with brown beer
    He did actually ask about the "beer basics". I thought it was just a typo.
    Last edited by Cordite; 18-08-2017 at 11:10 PM.
    Tommy likes this.

Welcome to the rabbit hole boss haha I'm relatively new to the game compared to the old buggers on here but I can't stress keeping a diary. Or if you're up to play with the fancy gizmos out there, then an electronic version of what you load. There is probably an app for it these days. It can get confusing and it's handy to look back over it all

Best advice is buy a couple of reloading guides first and see if you scare yourself off might save a small fortune

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never had one go off, but those lee hand loaders turn out bloody good ammo. You could take all the makings and reload your empties that night ready for the next day if you wished

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Apart from all the other good advice keenbloke's suggestion is very valuable
    keep a diary of all you do and review occasionally ,doesn't have to be a tomb just notes of progress and results, it can be literally an eye saver someday.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?