Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: GMX

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    7mm08 sorry, the one occasion that changed my mind for sure was a stag broadside at 70m. Damage was extreme.
    Basically all apart from the rear leg on the side facing was dog tucker. 139grain GMX. Bullet retention was weighed at 95%.
    This stag ran 100m before I found him down, he needed finishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wow that is just not what you normally hear/see with monolithics.......any reason you can think of why it performed this way?
    Is it all all possible the projectile hit a branch or something en-route to target and actually hit the animal already expanded?
    I have never yet managed to recover a 130ttsx even full length penetrations.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I showed the recovered projectile to a high flyer who said"that's perfect performance ". It probably was, I don't know. My old man basically said I wouldn't touch those fn things again. And said the Ol 303 would have done for for less...I thought that the evening prior when I had to put the poor animal down!
    No, the animal was broadside and in a clear spot. Definitely no deflection at all.
    At the time I figured the velocity may have been too extreme? But... it was with a ....7mm08.
    I haven't recovered any TTSX or TTX either. Interlock yes, accubond yes. In .284 and 308.
    For me the meat damage was one thing but seeing deer run like they were. Hell, my .44 drops them on the spot within 70m. I'm no expert, obviously, but I wouldn't touch them, again.

Dan M

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I showed the recovered projectile to a high flyer who said"that's perfect performance ". It probably was, I don't know. My old man basically said I wouldn't touch those fn things again. And said the Ol 303 would have done for for less...I thought that the evening prior when I had to put the poor animal down!
    No, the animal was broadside and in a clear spot. Definitely no deflection at all.
    At the time I figured the velocity may have been too extreme? But... it was with a ....7mm08.
    I haven't recovered any TTSX or TTX either. Interlock yes, accubond yes. In .284 and 308.
    For me the meat damage was one thing but seeing deer run like they were. Hell, my .44 drops them on the spot within 70m. I'm no expert, obviously, but I wouldn't touch them, again.

Well thanks for the honest appraisal, I shal proceed with caution.
    The run a bit is quite common with barnes if they are not going fast enough, yep they open but just cut a hole from one side to the other, they need speed to deliver shock and drop em right there.

As I say I have only seen the gmx on game out of a hotrod 6.5 and they work really well, my concern was weather I would get them fast enough to work. Your experience reminds me that bullet type performance is not necessarily transferable accross caliber.

All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Jeeze they should have just skipped to the very last page.
    Even hornady show poor expansion at 2000fps.

AB Precision
    Gs custom projectiles go well what I have tried them i as well accurate as and fast

All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Loaded GMX in my mates 270 with 58gr 2213SC but he hated them because they pencilled thru all his deer. Switched and loaded 130gr Barnes for him.His gun a T3.Loaded same load for another mate in his 270 Marlin and it has 1/2 in grouping at 100m.It really loves them. Good jump on the pill.

Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    Loaded GMX in my mates 270 with 58gr 2213SC but he hated them because they pencilled thru all his deer. Switched and loaded 130gr Barnes for him.His gun a T3.Loaded same load for another mate in his 270 Marlin and it has 1/2 in grouping at 100m.It really loves them. Good jump on the pill.
    Any idea how fast they were going and the ranges he was shooting?

Yep seen that. Still puzzeled by the fouling and special cleaning procedures comments? Wtf?

couldn't get the 120gmx to shoot well in my 6.5 mind you i didnt persevere that much

Never tried them on game, LRXs worked well on steel
    Did you try them at longer range mikee?

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    Did you try them at longer range mikee?
    Only out to 485 yards (long range for me) on 8 inch plates. No survivors

Only out to 485 yards (long range for me) on 8 inch plates. No survivors
    That shot terribly out of my 6.5saum at 100, but settled down to shoot nice groups at 6-7 hundred yards

Have you considered a 150gn Swift Sirocco II, they seem to work across the velocity range
    or these, I think there is a NZ distributor
    GS CUSTOM BULLETS - Specifications for use

Really thinking monolithic guys, meat saving.......,amax load dead right there from close to far just too much damage up close.
    If I was to go down the accubond/sirrocco route I may as well get cheep and accurate interloc and run at less than max.