Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Hand held priming tool, school me up ???

Lee and RCBS hand priming tools are great. I prefer the oldschool Lee Auto Prime. LEE stoped making them(with the round tray).

I treated myself to a Forrester Co-ax primer seater a while ago. Its a benchrest type primer seater with a tube and a nice long lever to manipulate the primers - its a real step up from the hand primers.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    @omark only found this one

https://www.reloaders.co.nz/shop/Rel...ime+90250.html

Presume this is not the one you mean as it has the flip tray ?
    Yea that’s not the one. The flip tray is a pain

The Sinclair hand tool is well worth the investment.
    A real heirloom quality tool. However, no auto feed not that I find that a problem myself.

Name:  8BACBD4C-6FCE-4DE4-9FDB-10758B113F32.jpeg
Views: 172
Size:  22.6 KB

These are great to use as well, can set up the exact primer setting depth and you can feel any differences in primer pockets.
    And will last a lifetime.

Super Precision Priming Tool

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamus_ View Post
    @dannyb the K&M priming tool is pretty nice - no tray to hold the primers but you get pretty quick with a bit of practice
    Yes, they're good tool, been using one for over 30 years. The Sinclair and 21st Century versions are equally as good.

For all my target stuff I have for years used a 21stCentury tool. I use CCI primers in those loads. The CCI primers have protruding anvils of various measurements. The 21stCentury (or most hand primers) give good feel to avoid crushing the anvils into the cups. I take reasonable care priming these loads and believe good priming (not crushing) to be important in the overall package.

Press priming is akin to using a sledgehammer, with no feel.

In my non target loads, sporting 308, 22-250, 223, Swiss SR, Hornet, 32/20 I use Fiocchi or RWS primers. The anvils in these two sit flush with the bottom of the cup. These can be seated with a reasonably solid stop till the bottom of the cup contacts the bottom of the primer pocket without crushing the primer. You can obviously still flatten the primer face if too heavy handed.
    I usually use an RCBS Universal tool for these.

I bought the RCBS Universal and a Lee at the same time. Tried both and promptly gave the Lee away. The RCBS has much nicer ergonomics. Minor downside is it's a bit fiddly changing between SRP and LRP but this is well offset by not having to have dedicated shellholders. Not sure about the latest Lee's but the RCBS has a safety gate to supposedly prevent setting of the primers in the tray if you have a primer blow whilst seating.
    Last edited by zimmer; 11-02-2021 at 09:35 AM.

Greetings All,
    I got one of the Lee hand priming tools over 20 years ago and it has done most of my priming since. I like the convenience of the tray and not having to touch the primers in the process. When it finally wears out (it will be a close race between me and the Lee hand primer) I might spring for something a bit flashier, or maybe not.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    PS. I would probably use the press if I ever use the Berdan primers I have for the .308.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    ...Press priming is akin to using a sledgehammer, with no feel....
    Good analogy.
    small_caliber and Micky Duck like this.

Thanks for all the informative responses guys, I have bought a Hornady hand primer that was offered to me at a Lee price.
    Hopefully it'll be ok, if not guess I'll bite the bullet and get an RCBS.
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Thanks for all the informative responses guys, I have bought a Hornady hand primer that was offered to me at a Lee price.
    Hopefully it'll be ok, if not guess I'll bite the bullet and get an RCBS.
    I was about to say I have a Lee one here you could try first when I eventually get around to doing something about a knife sharpener.....
    dannyb likes this.
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    I was about to say I have a Lee one here you could try first when I eventually get around to doing something about a knife sharpener.....
    Welcome to come try my warthog sharpener if you like, just touched up the hunting knife now and its back to hair splitting sharp again
    timattalon and Micky Duck like this.
    #DANNYCENT

I've got one of those warthog sharpener that you could try Tim. Just down the road
    timattalon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    I've got one of those warthog sharpener that you could try Tim. Just down the road
    Once you get the hang of them they are bloody good
    Mooseman and timattalon like this.
    #DANNYCENT

I like the Forster coax loader, mounted on a bench with a F clamp. Gives good feel and is pretty quick. I have used hand held units like the RCBS and the Frankford arsenal, but in my delicate little hands, they are all a bit cumbersome.

Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post
    I like the Forster coax loader, mounted on a bench with a F clamp. Gives good feel and is pretty quick. I have used hand held units like the RCBS and the Frankford arsenal, but in my delicate little hands, they are all a bit cumbersome.
    Lucky I have the hands of a Sasquatch then
    Micky Duck and csmiffy like this.
    #DANNYCENT