Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Hand loading for 303

JWB
    Banned
    You've received some good advice so far.

I'll add that 42 grains of AR2208 used to duplicate the cordite velocity with the 174 grain mark 7 bullet. I'm not going to vouch for current lots.

I use 41 grains of AR2208 with the Sierra 180 grain Prohunter bullet in SMLEs. For years I have used a .308 FL die with the expander button swapped out for a .311 button, to neck-size .303 brass.
    As already stated, brass lives with its own rifle. Each has its own headstamp to cut down on confusion.

Ammunition MUST be loaded to an overall length of 3.050-3.060 inches. Rim thickness is .063, and anything shorter than the OAL given by this amount will result in magazine jams. Remember that "Murphy is a Bastard", and that jam will happen when you least need it.

Lighter bullets will normally see you changing front sight blades, or taking to the backsight ramp with a file. The first option for originals and the second for already butchered sporters.
    Last edited by JWB; 10-04-2018 at 12:02 PM.

northdude
    Cheers for the info guys so can I use my neck sizing die that I use for my 308 and 3006 or is there a different die for 303

Its a bigger bullet so id assume no bro
    If you used a .308 neck sizeing die the .312 bullets won’t fit as the neck would be sized for a .308 bullet
    Just full length size the pricks mate don’t think you’ll get much advantage from neck sizeing in an 303

If you keep your cases rifle specific then neck sizing will give you long case life, if you mix n match you will have to full length as some chambers are very generous and will get stuck. Fl sizing works the brass heavily and shortens case life considerably.

Auckland, until I can escape south....to Southland.
    Yip, I neck size only.
    My son shoots a 1901 MLE, and I have a No 1 MK111
    Cases for each are kept separate, works for us !
    Actually thinking about it, it works for him, because I pay for his reloading.
    Ah well, kids eh, he can push me around the range if I end up in a wheelchair !
    He nui to ngaromanga, he iti to putanga.

You depart with mighty boasts, but you come back having done little.
    Sounds like a typical hunting trip !

northdude
    OK might go old school and get a Lee loader and do it that way not like I'll be hundreds of rounds at a time

Auckland, until I can escape south....to Southland.
    Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    OK might go old school and get a Lee loader and do it that way not like I'll be hundreds of rounds at a time
    I’ve used one, it worked well.
    He nui to ngaromanga, he iti to putanga.

You depart with mighty boasts, but you come back having done little.
    Sounds like a typical hunting trip !

Some 303s like 150gr, some like 174gr better. 42gr 2208 +/- 0.5gr with a 174gr will give you in the order of milspec speed. if only shooting to 100yds I suggest 38gr 2208 is enough and the brass will last longer.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Quote Originally Posted by systolic View Post
    Some on Trademe right now. Auction number 1589154643. Trader's name is le303.
    Actually this stuff it tends to be over-priced, it has a crimp you have to remove so need a tool and its weight is all over the place. I also find with age this brass is failing sooner ie less reloads than new brass. As a result I just buy 100 new PPU brass I think its the best myself.

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    watching this post intently. These are for target shooting I presume not hunting?
    Target shooting is very much going depend on the condition of your barrel (and its bedding). The 303brit SMK is over $1 a go but should work in a good barrel. Other options is try 308w HPBT, even 308w FMJs. Load would be around 42gr 2208 for milspec speed which for the resonance is close to what you want but 150~155gr can shoot very well also. My eyes have gone to crap so I cant shoot without a scope these days but a good No4 or P14 should do 1.75~2MOA.

northdude
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogfeatures View Post
    I’ve used one, it worked well.
    Yea I've got a few already that I drag out every now and then Foe the hell of it