Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By longshot
  • 1 Post By longshot

Thread: Has anyone had success reloading inceptor .223 projectiles

Has anyone had success reloading inceptor .223 projectiles

For those unfamiliar, website below.

https://inceptorammo.com/inceptor-product/component-bullets/

I tried these a while back with trailboss and with some 2206. I didn’t have a taper crimp die and was guestimating the data based off published data for same weight projectiles. The loads couldn’t even hit A3 paper at 50 yds.

I bought a taper crimp die and some 2207 and tried some loads exactly as per published data. Brass and primer were different but hopefully with incremental load testing that shouldn’t be a problem.

Tried the new loads on the weekend. Accuracy is about 9Moa from a rifle that was shooting sub Moa with some other reloads in the same sitting. So it’s not the shooter or the rifle.

Some of the loads on the ladder would put two out of three into 1.5 Moa but the fliers could be anywhere else on the paper as much as the next load. There was no stringing in the inaccuracy, the fliers were just all over the paper like moths around a light.

My best guess as to what is going wrong is that I am not putting in a correct taper crimp. I am using seperate dies for seating and crimping with the crimping die turned down until it just touches the case and then another 1/4 turn. When it crimps, it holds the round for the first ~1mm of the downward stroke until the shell holder pulls the brass downward.

My next best guess is that my 1/12 twist .223 just doesn’t like these 35 gn projectiles.

The only other thing I can think of is that the brand name SSR stands for short range rifle. Perhaps the target market is indoor 6” steel plates at 25yd? These projectiles are made to be safe for this sort of shooting so maybe (and I am clutching straws here) accuracy is a trade off?

If anyone has any accuracy success stories or advice, I am very interested to read.

my best guess...try not crimping at all..... just load as per your normal loads.
    hopefully you arent trying to push these really fast as they may be coming apart at warp speed if you are.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

The case needs to be flared for these projectiles to to be seated and so by necessity must be crimped (the crimp is just to close up the flared case mouth after seating). The crimp is very light. 1/4 turn of the die. I started with minimum load @ 21.0 grain and went to 23.0 grain. Max load is 23.5. They still put holes in paper so aren’t coming apart. The holes just in the wrong place.

you COULD maybe try with a really good champher instead of a flare...and possibly dipped in graphite powder when resizing....with luck projectile will slip in like a well greased .....thing in a slack....thing
    cant see them being much softer than a cast...nothing to loose if what you currently doing isnt working.... not familiar with 2207...but 24.5grns of 2206 was my go to load for years right down to 45grn projectiles,that was light charge for that weight and it was stonking along. taipan 45grns would blow apart inside a hare.....
    sorry I cant be of more help,never heard of these before.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Longshot what’s your end plan with this load?
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Pigeons under a bridge and rabbits at a market garden is what I originally bought them for.
    They come in a packet of 250 so I am still sitting on 200 or so projectiles. If I can get them accurate I could find other uses for them too.
    Sideshow and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    you COULD maybe try with a really good champher instead of a flare...and possibly dipped in graphite powder when resizing....with luck projectile will slip in like a well greased .....thing in a slack....thing
    cant see them being much softer than a cast...nothing to loose if what you currently doing isnt working.... not familiar with 2207...but 24.5grns of 2206 was my go to load for years right down to 45grn projectiles,that was light charge for that weight and it was stonking along. taipan 45grns would blow apart inside a hare.....
    sorry I cant be of more help,never heard of these before.
    I will give that one a try. Maybe just a good chamfer will be enough
    Micky Duck likes this.

Right makes sense then good luck.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.