Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Having that 'best deer hunting cal' argument with a mate. 6.5x55 vs .270win vs 308

I think everyone should earn their patch using a 22.
    7mmsaum, gadgetman and rossi.45 like this.

1st rifle I ever had was a 270, learnt to shoot with a 270. If someone is going to be taught how to handle a firearm properly I don't think it matters what calibre it is.

Edited to add: have also had countless people who have not shot a rifle in their life shooting a 270 fine, including my mrs who is about 5ft bugger all and 50kgs and she can shoot it unsupressed all day long no worries
    veitnamcam and oraki like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    1st rifle I ever had was a 270, learnt to shoot with a 270. If someone is going to be taught how to handle a firearm properly I don't think it matters what calibre it is.
    This explains a lot
    veitnamcam and Ryan_Songhurst like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rambo-6mmrem View Post
    I'm not saying there's anything wrong with 270 just that I don't think its a good cal for new shooters due to the recoil I have shot plenty of rounds of 270 over the years and personally I don't like it and its not that I cant handle recoil some of the guns ive shot over the years make 270 look like a bb gun
    I just prefer a rifle like my 260 which dose every thing 270 can with far less recoil and less powder but if you like 270 good on you

it just makes me cringe when I see people suggest 270 to new shooters..... experienced fine as they know how to handle it
    my brother brought a howa 270 as his 1st rifle and sold it after a few months got a tikka 6.5x55 still took months for the flinch to stop though
    I really like my smaller calibres. The 243, 223 and the humble 22lr. They're just so nice to shoot. I think the 7mm Rem Mag will improve with a new recoil pad and the Boyds stock I have for it.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post

Edited to add: have also had countless people who have not shot a rifle in their life shooting a 270 fine, including my mrs who is about 5ft bugger all and 50kgs and she can shoot it unsupressed all day long no worries
    Snap. 303 was the first I shot, 270 first to own.But the 243 is a much nicer package to shoot on a culling hunt for all involved.

I shot 100-200 rounds per week of 22lr in practice and competition from the age of 13 so betime 16 and a FAL came round I was already well versed in firearm handling I was 15 when mum brought me my 1st center fire a 223 for my birthday my 1st large cal was 303 a p14 I picked up for $100 ive owned all the common cals and some less common (yes including 270) 308 243-7mm-08 6mmrem 7x57 8x57 6.5x55 260 7.5x55 swiss the list goes on I have a soft spot for 25-06 so pretty much a 270 shot my 1st deer with one and pretty keen to put one in the safe

.22 Hornet

I writhed in agony and screamed for help. I was up in the Regina and I could be heard from the Horace Walker Hut.

No one helped, No one cared.

It caused me physiological damage.

Thank God it wasn't a .270.

gadgetman, Gibo and Shearer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    .22 Hornet

I writhed in agony and screamed for help. I was up in the Regina and I could be heard from the Horace Walker Hut.

What were you doing bleeding up the Regina with a hornet???
    Barefoot likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

MSL
    .22 Hornet

Did you trip and fall on it?

.22 Hornet

It was only punishment for wearing that silly hat now if it had been a Waikato one

Would have most likely been both eyes
    mikee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rambo-6mmrem View Post
    I shot 100-200 rounds per week of 22lr in practice and competition from the age of 13 so betime 16 and a FAL came round I was already well versed in firearm handling I was 15 when mum brought me my 1st center fire a 223 for my birthday my 1st large cal was 303 a p14 I picked up for $100 ive owned all the common cals and some less common (yes including 270) 308 243-7mm-08 6mmrem 7x57 8x57 6.5x55 260 7.5x55 swiss the list goes on I have a soft spot for 25-06 so pretty much a 270 shot my 1st deer with one and pretty keen to put one in the safe
    This shows how much personal bias can effect a persons opinion on different cartridges. You hate the 270 but have a soft spot for the 25-06.
    Go figure.
    veitnamcam and rossi.45 like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

I lied about it being a 22 hornet.
    gadgetman likes this.

I lied about it being a 22 hornet.
    .22lr then

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    This shows how much personal bias can effect a persons opinion on different cartridges. You hate the 270 but have a soft spot for the 25-06.
    Go figure.
    agreed lol you may of noticed I do have a major bias against 270 the 25 dose have a little less recoil though
    Shearer likes this.

The "Best calibre" is what ever rifle you are currently holding when "Mr Deersie" sticks his head up
    veitnamcam, gadgetman and ROKTOY like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.