Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Hornady Lock n Load AP press

Hornady Lock n Load AP press

Gonna upgrade to a progressive press for xmas present, have been looking at a Dillon 550RL but seeing as the Hornady AP is only a little more expensive and from the reviews I've read it gets rated as good or even better than a Dillon 650, am looking at getting the Hornady for loading bulk 9mm and 223

Does anyone have any experience with one, I hear the powder measure may be more accurate than the Dillon and the addition of auto index is a bonus over the 500 for bulk 9mm

Any good places to get one from? With the current exchange rate $800 from Workshop innovation stacks up fairly well against importing from Amazon $450USD + $120NZD shipping + duty, unless I can get away without a customs bill or large shipping cost

I went through the same process about six months ago. Priced them locally at Reloaders and Workshop innovations. Also looked at importing from Oz and U.S. Which were a lot cheaper but freight killed that option!

Eventually got mine thru workshop innovations, great service and reasonable price.

Very happy with the press too.
    steven likes this.

Great press. Only gripe with mine is that when using the pellet type powders it only takes one tiny grain of powder to stop the primer slide tray thingy from sliding foward if it gets in there. It takes a blast of air or a tooth pick to flick it out. Its a non issue with flake powders. Other than that its sweet.

Its not worth importing IMHO, Ive looked a few times and the savings are pathetic. Workshop Innovations are probably going to be the more aggressive on price.
    Last edited by steven; 11-11-2015 at 09:12 PM.
    mikee likes this.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Also I found the operation of the press works really well with the Lee Collet die, as no case lube needed with this die.
    Initially when I used a standard die with case lube the powder blocked up in the case mouth due to sticking to lube.

I'm quite keen on one of these too

R93
    I have had one for a year. I do not have much experience with a Dillon but I was talked into buying the Hornady AP press by a Dillon owner. It is really built like a tank. Comes with a great spares kit.
    Changing to any caliber takes 2 mins including setting charge throw.
    I have had a few minor stuff-ups with it that I have caused. Nothing has broken and it works flawlessly. I do not use Lube for anything but .223.
    I can load 4-500 9mm or .40 cal rounds an hour and that includes setup and refilling the primer tube. I also hand feed the cases and projectiles.
    A great bit of kit imo.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

R93
    If you buy a Hornady LnL AP press get an RCBS lock out die. The powder thrower is extremely accurate with powders I have used, but sometimes teething issues with the linkages etc can under or over throw a charge. Even if you're vigilant, a couple bad loads will get past you due to distractions.

It is the best thing I have bought for reloading with the press, thanks to ebf's wife's advice.
    If you under or over throw a charge the die locks the arm and you can sort whats wrong without it getting past undetected.
    I can do a run of 500 9mm or .40 and the throws are within .1 at the beginning and end of the run. Accurate enough for good rifle ammo. Set the indexing (only done once from new), keep the shell plate and primer slide clean of powder, grease her up and pump out the ammo.
    Uplandstalker likes this.

Cheers for the advice, am watching a 9ft jetboat on trademe tonight so if I miss that will order a LnL tomorrow

Alloy Jet Boat 9ft | Trade Me

Boat went over my budget so looking forward to my new press, is there anything I need to buy with it? like the Dillons needing a calibre conversion kit.
    Have Carbide dies already and will get a lock out die as suggested

R93
    Just extra of these if you plan to load other cals.

Mine setup for .40 S&W

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by specweapon View Post
    Alloy Jet Boat 9ft | Trade Me

Boat went over my budget so looking forward to my new press, is there anything I need to buy with it? like the Dillons needing a calibre conversion kit.
    Have Carbide dies already and will get a lock out die as suggested
    yeah a Dillon, I'll bet you end up with one eventually
    Beaker likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

R93
    To change caliber with the hornady you just need the shell plate and dies. Extra collars make it simpler by way of leaving dies set. Just lock them in, set your charge and your away.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Out of curiosity to someone that doesn't reload and little to no knowledge, after buying this AP press. How much more money to start basic reloading? No details (will do my homework on this) needed just a price. I see the kits start at $250 to $900. Cheers T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A bit overkill to start reloading, the Lee classic press and a die set will get you going for under $300 roughly
    R93, Uplandstalker and Beaker like this.