Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Hornady Lock n Load AP press

Quote Originally Posted by HOWA308 View Post
    I went through the same process about six months ago. Priced them locally at Reloaders and Workshop innovations. Also looked at importing from Oz and U.S. Which were a lot cheaper but freight killed that option!

Eventually got mine thru workshop innovations, great service and reasonable price.

Very happy with the press too.
    That's if you use the 'Cabela's postal raping' method. Using Youshop will still save you 30% (including gst) but that has to offset the loss of usable warranty and the month it takes to get here. This is when the dollar is strong though I suppose. The 30% could get gobbled up at a time like now when the dollar is so crappy.

Specweapon - So just a die set to add to the kit then the consumables, brass, powder and projectiles then?

Yes I understand it will be overkill but if I do decide then I don't mind saving and spending it, it's a long term hobby and will cost money, the plus with good gear is that you can always sell it off without too much of a loss if it isn't my thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well it depends one what calibre you intend to load, I will still use my Lee classic for 300blk, 260AI, 308 and others. The progressive only for bulk 9mm and 223.

The basic lee is probably better to learn handloading on, and will never lose its value

I see, will have a look at that. Would only reload 308 and maybe when I get it re-barrelled one of the 6.5 rounds

R93
    You do not need a progressive press if you're only 1 or 2 rifle cals.
    Single stage is the way to go unless needing high volume.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Beaker likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

I started with a single stage Lee press, loading 308 & 300wsm. Took my time to learn the fundamentals and get my loads sorted.
    A couple of years on and having recently purchased the Hornady Lock n Load AP press and really like it, I wouldn't be keen to start from scratch with it.
    Starting reloading and learn with a single stage press was best for me.....
    The need to correctly set up each die station and powder measure and getting them all working simultaneously does take some reasonable reloading knowledge. JMHO
    Tommy likes this.

Hey Howa, since you have experience in the hornady AP. What do you think about using it with only 1 stage at a time to deal with the learning curve and get it right?

I like the hornady gear for some reason, the classic deluxe kit and AP is about the same price, add up to 300 to ap for other parts (my understanding). Either way I will start building the cash, in my case I think it is the case of NEED vs WANT, i just started shooting and I wouldn't even justify the amount I shoot to reload. Looks like an interesting hobby.

I looked at long term use, and I wanted volume. So I brought a Dillon 650 for 9mm first up. Easy to learn on for this caliber and certainly has paid off in the longer term. Dillon or hornady doesn't matter, as long as you do the research and maybe have someone to give advice etc... Precision rifle is a different story, and single is the way to go imo. Oh and use the 650 for 223 as well.

horse's for courses.
    R93 likes this.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

I watched some videos and did some research last night. I am starting to see the light with the single stage press and how both have a place on the bench. My thinking was to skip a stage going straight to AP but I see both have different application. Thanks for the advice people.

308 and Beaker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by trader312014 View Post
    I watched some videos and did some research last night. I am starting to see the light with the single stage press and how both have a place on the bench. My thinking was to skip a stage going straight to AP but I see both have different application. Thanks for the advice people.

Let me know if you need to sell the AP, been second hand and all
    Beaker likes this.

Could swap you a just run in single stage Lee(around 5,000 rounds) for the AP?

Quote Originally Posted by trader31 View Post
    Hey Howa, since you have experience in the hornady AP. What do you think about using it with only 1 stage at a time to deal with the learning curve and get it right?

I like the hornady gear for some reason, the classic deluxe kit and AP is about the same price, add up to 300 to ap for other parts (my understanding). Either way I will start building the cash, in my case I think it is the case of NEED vs WANT, i just started shooting and I wouldn't even justify the amount I shoot to reload. Looks like an interesting hobby.
    Where do you live Trader? If your close to Tauranga I will loan you my single stage for 6 months to get the hang of loading before you jump into an auto press.

You will just need to buy Dies and consumables that can also be used in your next press.

Very generous offer Howa but I live in chch, thanks anyways.

I will hold off for now and look into the details some more. I read last night that single stage produces more accurate rifle ammo.
    New plan will be to start buying gear middle of next year.