Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: hornady's new CX bullet

Base of the neck isn’t much of a test or merit to the bullet just shows good shot placement on your behalf
    veitnamcam and 300CALMAN like this.

i did get the time to shot a set of different powders varget, rl15,imr4451, a2520, big game ,a4064,imr8208 and staball6.5 . some of the loading were max loads with a 2.755 COL its a rather long bullet for the 708 brass. staball6.5 and imr4451 takeup to much space to get a decent amount of powder into the brass. varget and imr8208 did get a well above 2900 fps 139gr .22'' barrel varget did give a less that 3/4 '' grouping

Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa that's some serious timber.
    Shoot better than that everyday in the Ruahines…….👍
    tetawa and 300_BLK like this.

Quote Originally Posted by misser View Post
    i did get the time to shot a set of different powders varget, rl15,imr4451, a2520, big game ,a4064,imr8208 and staball6.5 . some of the loading were max loads with a 2.755 COL its a rather long bullet for the 708 brass. staball6.5 and imr4451 takeup to much space to get a decent amount of powder into the brass. varget and imr8208 did get a well above 2900 fps 139gr .22'' barrel varget did give a less that 3/4 '' grouping
    Thats pretty good speed for a copper bullet in a 7mm08.

the better grouping i found was a 5/8'' with a slightly reduced powder charge and a lesser COL . the plan now is to load up some more and then adjust the EC tuner

Quote Originally Posted by 300_BLK View Post
    It’s just the GMX with the “heat shield tip” or a higher temp resistance polymer.
    No, I wouldn’t agree with that.

From the testing done by fellas in the US, the GMX and CX are performing very differently. The CX looks like it is considerably softer than the GMX and will break up almost like a segmented copper bullet if impact velocity is high. The lower velocity expansion is remarkable.

From what I’ve seen so far I would say that the copper alloy metallurgy of the CX is completely different to the GMX.

The view on the GMX has historically been that it is too hard and double lung shots can frequently have bad outcomes. I don’t think we will be hearing that about the CX so much…

Whilst I hear what the guys are saying about potentially driving this bullet too fast, the problem is a good one to have because here we seem to have a copper monolithic bullet that does not need to be driven at warp speed to deliver clean killing.
    Micky Duck and winaa like this.
    Just...say...the...word

And here’s the GMX:

Micky Duck likes this.
    Just...say...the...word